Adept alert..

Why?

Reply to
Huge

Because the Linuxophiles insist that "Linux just works".

Reply to
Davey

That's a different point of view from what I have heard many, many Linux advocates say about HP. They are usually held up as a manufacturer that supports Linux, and is supposed to be better than others. I see Canon often criticised in this regard.

Ah, but I did not choose my hardware, I already had it when I decided to go with Linux. It all worked with XP, until the XP died, as MS stuff does occasionally. Members of the Linux community, who knew exactly what I was doing, and with what equipment, said that the installation of Ubuntu would be simple and foolproof, then when I could not get the internal modem working, they said "Well, laptop Winmodems don't play with Linux". I know that now, and why, but nobody warned me when they had the chance. They were all gung-ho for me to convert to Linux, but failed to admit, or warn, that not everything would be as simple as they said when trying to 'convert' me. Luckily I don't need the modem anyway. Since I am now in the market for a new laptop, and you clearly claim to 'have a clue', what should I look for? How do I tell if my probable purchase will be suitable? Only asking, as you are quick to criticise one who merely wants it to work, not to have to fiddle and faddle to get the system to operate as it needs to.

Reply to
Davey

At a guess, something apple flavoured would be Steve's recommendation.

I'd say nothing cheap and nasty, unless it's really cheap. Eg I think I'd avoid Packard-Bell, HP Pavilion, but I like my business HP laptop. And it's running windows, like all the computers in this house which are used more than once a year.

Reply to
Clive George

No idea, I know what I would look for, but you seem to want some Windows crap.

And yet you like Windows, which is nothing but fiddle and faff.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Both. Cured now. I think my mistake was leaving an acrobat file open while accepting the update. Fairly obvious in that the updates are only offered when using Acrobat. A warning would help us *less alert* folk:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Dave-UK writes

Thanks.

I made the fundamental mistake of accepting the upgrade with an Acrobat file open!

In the same *upgrade* is a free copy of McAfee which, having done a search, claimed there was no anti-virus software found on my machine despite there being a full paid up copy of Norton!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd say that's not so far off the mark, I reckon Norton *is* a virus.

Installed mostly without consent, hogs resources.....

Reply to
John Williamson

So, what would you look for? You seem to be very reticent on this.

No, I don't like Windows, but it can do some things that Ubuntu can't, and doesn't need tweaking to get it to match the PC hardware, which Ubuntu does. If "Linux just worked", then I would have no interest in Windows at all. I don't have any Windows at the moment (although I do have windows), but I can't do some tasks.

Reply to
Davey

No I'm not reticent but you seem to have made your mind up and so one assumes you are looking for a Windows machine so you can continue to use the accessories that you purchased which are Windows only. You got yourself into this bind.

If you are saying that you don't want to re-use the accessories, fine then there's plenty of stuff about. Perhaps if you actually said what you want to do with a computer it would be possible to give some sensible advice. As it is, you are focussing on the computer and not on the use you will make of that computer.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

All of the above just reads as "I can't imagine any solution other than Windows" so there's little point discussing alternatives with you, is there?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not so - I visited a site which needed Acrobat viewer and it offered me an upgrade before the normal upgrader did. And that was the complete thing, by the file size, which was vast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Debian linux mostly just 'works' on hardware over 3 years old.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK. In this instance I had already got the file open before the offer arrived.

In general, patches or upgrades are never set to *auto download* as my desk top is not left running and they otherwise hog the machine at switch on.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bought them when I had Windows, and wish to use them with Linux. But I can't.

No more than basic home use, including medium ability photo manipulation, and transfer of VHS tapes to DVD. If that could be achieved without the Pinnacle, but by the PC itself, then fine, I am not determined to use it, it's just that I have it already, and it works with Windows.

You are clearly not listening to me, so I agree that we should terminate this conversation, we are at odds of understanding. But thanks for the attention.

Reply to
Davey

My version of XP allows you to download then or delay it until you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for confirming you're an idiot. I wasn't completely sure.

Reply to
Huge

Other than circular definitions this is, of course, untrue.

Reply to
Huge

"I bought this diesel car, but it won't run on petrol. It's obviously the fault of the oil companies."

Reply to
Huge

Interesting assertion. Are you saying that there is absolutely nothing that can be done with Windows that cannot be done with Linux?

(hint: my company is one of many that concentrates on software for the Windows market, because it is bigger)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'd be interested to know if there are any. Have you any examples?

Reply to
Huge