Adept alert..

This argument is of course bollocks as well. If it were the only consideration then there would be no point in writing for other platforms. It's a sign to me that the company has mentally lazy management. It is of course also a variation on the "eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong" argument.

Windows keeps me nicely in work. If I were designing for other platforms I'd have my job over much faster and I'd get less work because there would be little work to do[1], so I'm grateful to Bill for designing some really s**te software and selling it to large corporates.

Of course I don't actually use it myself, because I'm not as mad as a hatter and his hatstand.

[1] Not for the reasons you allude to, but for reasons that should scare the crap out of Windows users.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, as an obvious Linux evangelist, can you tell me of a Linux application that will take a TS video stream and convert it to MPEG and a usable video editor that doesn't look and work like a toy from Toys "R" Us?

Reply to
James Noble

Would that be multiplexed?

Do you need audio sync too? ;-)

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Yes

Yes

Reply to
James Noble

You don't have any like that on Windows.

Try FinalCut Pro

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought TS was an envelope for mpeg??

Anyway ffmpeg will do this and is used professionally but the firms that do it have their own script wallahs to call the commandline. I was with a lad on Saturday who has this job to massage advert videos post shooting.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Sorry, I forgot to pick you up on this one. I'm far from a "Linux evangelist", I suggest you learn to read the headers to a Usenet post.

Reply to
Steve Firth

When you say "editor" what do you want from the editor, simple edits or the full professional bells and whistles? For the former MPEG Streamclip does a very good job of editing TS files. If you mean the latter then Windows really doesn't offer much of any value anyway, so I'd say use Avid or Final Cut Pro on a Mac as most professionals do.

Good packages on Linux are Cinelerra, Kdenlive, Kino and LiVES.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Windows can run *applications* that aren't available for Linux, that's the biggest issue in converting.

There's little if anything else that Windows can do that Linux can't.

It's getting (a lot) better. Ubuntu 11.04 "out of the box" on a 5yr old low end Thinkpad booted and worked, even finding the correct drivers for the wireless and connecting to the network.

It was a dismal failure last time i tried. It seems things are actually moving in the right direction at last.

I can almost a damascene conversion coming on.

It does now, for me at least.

Even the application I require most (Microchip MPLAB IDE) now has a beta version for Linux.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q