Adding shower pump without a separate cold feed

I live in a block of flats where cold water is gravity fed from a large, shared water tank on the roof (about 20 ft above). I want to install a pump to provide a high-pressure shower, but all installation guides I've read insist on an independent cold feed from the tank to the pump, which I can't provide.

Can I still install such a pump if I tee off the hot and cold supplies, and put check valves on the non-pumped branches to prevent the pump from sucking water or air back from the taps?

Vaci

Reply to
Vaci

It will work without a separate feed. The main concern is actually that you'll "steal" the water from others sharing your tank if they don't have independent feeds from you, which may be antisocial (or even against your lease terms). If everyone has their own pipe back to the tank, it won't matter, unless the tank is undersized.

You should have the check valves anyway if it is a shared supply.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The feed is shared with at least some of the other flats, but I doubt if that will cause any problems as the tank and supply are both substantial - the downpipe is at least 60mm where my private 22mm branch comes off!

Reply to
Vaci

It'll probably work then. Turn the pump right down so you don't reduce the pressure in the shared downpipe.

You may still get issues, though. Firstly, your lease may explicitly forbid it. Secondly, the transmitted noise through the pipes may be considered a nuisance.

You should certainly get a top quality pump designed to reduce vibration and use it on a low setting.

Another alternative which will always work, if you're lucky enough to have the space, is to simply have your own tank fed from the communal one and pump from there.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Have you got room to fit a header tank in your flat then run your hot water from that? Then you can also run the cold for the pump off it. I suspect that would be your only way of getting the shower you want. The flow from the tank on the roof is probably quite low, have you checked the litres per minute you get now?

Basil

Reply to
basil

Well, there is space for a small header tank, but I don't really want to add another component to my system.

The flow from the roof tank is actually quite good as the pipework is oversized. I guess if a pump isn't feasible then I will just use 22mm pipework all the way to the shower mixer. I don't want to fork out for a high pressure pump and mixer block before I find out I can't use it!

Reply to
Vaci

It is called a "break tank" and in this case not a bright idea. The best is a pump with a suitable non-return valve. The supply pipe is more than man enough if it only supplies 2 or 3 flats.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Put a pump on with a non return valve on your cold supply from the communal header tank.

What do you have now? Do you have a conventional open vented cylinder? Is the open vent running to up and over the header tank?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil