Adding an extra plug socket

Hi all

I am wanting to add another plug in my garage (currently only have 1 on the back wall). Is 2.5mm twin core and earth the correct cable to use for this extra socket. I was going to just take a spur from the existing socket.

Reply to
diy-newby

It depends on how the existing socket is fed. If it is already a spur direct off a ring then no. But if you add an FCU before the existing one you can have as many extra sockets as you wish - but of course the maximum total load will be restricted by the 13 amp fuse in the FCU.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Currently the lights and plug socket are fed from the garage's own consumer unit. Only 1 plug point in the garage, wired directly from the consumer unit.

Reply to
diy-newby

How is the feed to the garage consumer unit arranged? Is it direct from the 'company fuse' with the feed split using a 'Henley Block' or (quite likely I suspect) is it fed from an MCB in the main house consumer unit?

Whatever, assuming the feed to the garage consumer unit is satisfactory (you need to say where it's fed from and what wire is used) then you can 'daisy chain' a second socket from the first *if* the MCB it's fed from is a 20 amp one. If the MCB is a 32 amp one then the existing socket is a spur off a ring main (with no ring main!) and you can't spur a second one from the first.

Reply to
tinnews

The consumer unit in the garage is fed from the consumer unit in the main house (on it's own MCB). This garage CU feeds the lights and the one socket.

Reply to
diy-newby

OK, so what rating is the main house MCB that feeds the garage consumer unit? ... and how thick is the wire?

My paragraph above about the feed *from* the garage consumer unit to the socket(s) still applies.

Reply to
tinnews

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:41:55 -0000 someone who may be "diy-newby" wrote this:-

Are there two or more ways in the latter, or just one?

If two or more, what is the rating of the protective device for the socket circuit? If this is 20A then it is likely that 2.5mm cable is acceptable for a radial extension of the current radial wiring to the existing socket. If it is more or less than that we need more information.

If there is just one way, what is the rating of the protective device and how is the lighting protected?

Reply to
David Hansen

Why don'y you purchase a cheap extension cable & surface mount it with cable clips? Most have 'keyhole' slots on the back so they can be fixed to the wall.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This is exactly what I've done in my garage, via a RCD adaptor in the original socket. Thus I now have four sockets which are safe to use with power tools etc. However, be very careful not to overload the circuit. 13A should not be exceeded in any circumstances.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

If its only you working in there it would be difficult to exceed 13A - you can only use one power tool at a time.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A fan heater would be popular at this time of year, and could take almost all of the 13A especially if a 3kW.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I suspect you really want to add another socket. Don't forget to buy enough socket-plugs to match those plug-sockets.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Tell you what, they're easier to find than socket-sockets.

Sock it to me baby.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard