Adding a "proper" roof to a conservatory

We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we just learned an expensive lesson?!

Reply to
keiron99

Big difference in planning controls iirc if the roof is more than 75 % solid as it ceases to be a conservatory

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Is the roof plastic? My daughter's conservatory roof is, and I certainly agree about the rain noise. OTOH, the glass roof on a friend's conservatory roof seems acceptably quiet when it rains. However, it does leak in a few places, whereas my daughter's roof seems leak free, for the time being.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

If you replace the roof with anything opaque, it will cease to be a conservatory and become subject to full Building Regulations, from foundations from thermal insulation. (It might not be subject to planning regulations, under permitted development.)

For summer use, improving ventilation (perhaps fitting a solar powered extractor fan at a high point to create an airflow), fitting blinds or whitewashing part of the glass may help to reduce solar gain.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My neighbours have air conditioning in theirs...I guess that is permitted?

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

I would have thought the weigth of the tiles would me MUCH more than the plastic, and would wonder if the walls were strong enough.

To mee consevatories are junk, for the reasons you list. Also most are designed to last 25 years max, which means a 12.5K conservatory costs you 500 quid a year, or 50 quid for each time you use it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Automatic vents such as are sold for greenhouses are another option. They really do work.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It would almost certainly be illegal.

Replace with double glazed glass and ensure it has an opening roof light. Polycarbonate roofing is horrible. You will need to strengthen the rafters for the increased weight.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd like to ask - which way does this conservatory face?

I've wondered about building one on the back of our house but not for warmth - it faces due north. I'm happy for it to be cold in the winter but wonder if it would still get too hot in the summer.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher writes

Ours is on the north side of the house and gets very hot in mid summer, when the sun is high enough to get over the house and shine into it. A

2kw electric convector heater from Argos heats it fine in the winter if we want to eat out there or anything (takes about 10mins to heat up to usable temp).
Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Thanks, Tim, the sun wouldn't be able to reach every part of ours, if it could I'd have a greenhouse lean-to there! It's an interesting thought though.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My conservatory has a plastic roof. Its about 3" thick triple walled stuff. It comes in 12" wide (approx) sections that lock together with an aluminium insert that supports the roof. It reduces all the problems you mentioned by a lot.

Its probably cheaper to put the tiles on. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

| We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's | too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy | when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way | the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we | just learned an expensive lesson?!

Are the walls strong enough to support a "proper" roof which will weigh a lot more than the plastic one? You are likely to end up with a proper extension. Are the foundations strong enough to support a proper extension?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Are you sure about the 75%? If so, the whole roof could be covered and packed with insulation - essential. The problem, is getting light to the back of the conservatory and into the main house - light pipes can be used for this. The very back 25% of the new roof and ceiling, near the house wall could be glass (triple or quad glazed) to give light. The house wall could take most of the weight of the new roof, meaning few large supports are at the front of the conservatory, or none at all. Indeed the roof could be largely a self supporting structure hanging off the house wall.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's about building control, not planning.

You basically have a choice.

You can make it a conservatory by having sufficient windows. If you do this, you don't have to worry about u-Values, but you must separate it from the rest of the house with external grade walls, doors and windows.

If you don't have sufficient windows/translucent roof, then it counts as an extension and must be fully insulated. This is actually difficult or impossible to achieve if the walls are entirely glass.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No. Planning. The conservatory is being changed into an extension. Inside of a part time room (conservatories are for plants) it become a full time room.

It can still be separate from the rest of the house with external grade walls, doors and windows. A reason for the tiles could aesthetics, and no rain noise.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Generally speaking, planning rules are not affected whether it is a conservatory or an extension, particularly in reference to exemptions and permitted development etc. The fact that it is a conservatory only become involved if there is an element of appearance in the mix, such as attempting to maintain the appearance of a conservation area, or your front elevation facing a highway.

Well, the term conservatory has a special meaning under planning and building law and it has nothing to do with plants, whatever the Victorian definition of the word was.

Yes, but it is not allowed under the building regulations without some serious hoop jumping. Basically, to enable you to have glass walls, you NEED the conservatory building control exemption to apply. For it to apply, you need a translucent roof.

You can get a glass walled non-conservatory to pass, but it is a serious business, probably involving superinsulating the rest of the house in compensation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Incorrect. It is Building Regulations. Refer to Approved Document on part L1 section 1.58

"1.58 For the purposes of the guidance in Part L, a conservatory has not less than threequarters of the area of its roof and not less than one half of the area of its external walls made of translucent material."

That would prevent the definition of "conservatory" in building regulations from applying.

Reply to
Andy Hall