Conservatory roof

Dont like the Poly roof any more , anyone got any good ideas for an alternative ? its a stained wooden frame conservatory Many Thanks John

Reply to
Hendy7

Low emissivity double glazed units.

They would be a lot quieter when it rains.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Plywood and roofing felt.

Reply to
Jimbo

Although this would work, it would also be against building regulations, as you would be converting a conservatory into a habitable room, which requires loads of insulation, foundations, etc.

This would be a risk factor if it comes to sell, or they notice by other means.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I certainly hope so as that is what I have ordered and I hate the sound of rain upon polycarbonate.

My conservatory should arrive in the next few weeks, which will give me yet more work to do. I've already dug and filled the concrete pad foundations, just the metal base framework to assemble now before the conservatory can be plonked on top.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It seems not. I've had some more info from my local Building Inspector (Kent). I've also found a link to an extract from Building Regulations Approved Document A which may be of interest to the OP.

First the Building Inspector:

I would advise that a conservatory would be exempt under the building regulations Regulation 9 exempt buildings and work class vii extensions if the conservatory meets the following criteria:- i. The conservatory is at ground level. ii. The conservatory floor cover less than 30m2 iii. The glazing in critical locations is safety glazing and iv. The conservatory is separated from the house by permanent construction, ie doors. The Building Regulations are not specific on what constitutes a conservatory, but the guidance in Approved Document L refers to conservatories having not less than three quarters of the area of the roof and not less than one half of the area of its external walls made translucent material. Note that this reference in relation to the extent of glazing is only guidance and would not effect the exemption.

Ceilings and Flat Roofs timber sizes info as follows:

Reply to
Nige

Even if the rules aren't set in stone, you'd be hard pushed to argue 0% translucent roof covering to make a conservatory. You'd need a very compliant BCO to argue that the room is anything other than a extension, requiring full approval.

However, you might get it to pass on a whole house carbon index. This may allow you to better insulate the rest of the house and the ex-conservatory roof and bring down overall emissions to below that of the house alone before the alteration (you wouldn't be allowed to compare with the house with conservatory before).

All this wouldn't exempt you from the other requirements, such as having adequete foundations etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Unless it's hard driving rain, as in deluge with wind or for short periods with a thunderstorm, you won't notice it.

One comment that was made to me related to handling of DG units and was to be extremely careful of the edges. Apparently the units can break with even a relatively light blow so it's worth using pads of newspaper or something like that underneath when stack them on end.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've got a pile of cheap Ikea napkins that can probably do the job. Thanks for the tip!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

... and of course they are very heavy so care is needed, especially for the roof. Do the conservatory instructions come with info. on order of work?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I haven't got them yet...

My two main worries are installing the roof lights and the flashing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

IIRC on mine the flashing, which was stepped and cut into the brickwork, was part installed before the glass was installed and then finally dressed into place afterwards.

I don't remember the order of installation of the roof units - I believe from the bottom upwards.....

The vents went in last of all.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mine has a lean to style roof, so I assume I don't have difficult steppings to do. I was hoping I could just rake out some mortar and shove it in.

You'll probably freak out that I didn't specify a roof vent. The conservatory is north facing and gets no direct sunlight, so I didn't bother. The rooms on that side of the house are lovely and cool even during heatwaves. It feels almost airconditioned.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle