Adding 2 wall lights to a lighting circuit

Hi,

I have an extension in my house where I want to install 2 new wall lights. I was wondering if it was ok/safe to take 2 spurs of the existing lighting circuit. I currently have 6 ceiling rose lights on that circuit.

If this is not ok can anyone suggest a better alternative? I plan to take a spur of the current circuit using a 3-way junction box out in to the extension. I was then going to use another 3way junction box to spur a second connection. Each of the 2 spurs would then go to their own 4-way junction box to power each light and control them via their own switch.

I hope this is enough of a description. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Reply to
JGralton

Provided that the fuse is correctly rated to protect the thinest cable in the circuit and that the total load doesent exceed the rating of the fuse you will be OK..

I the thinest wire is 1mm^2 it should be protected by a 6 amp fuse which will allow a total load of 1.4KW. If it is 1.5mm^2 use a 10 amp fuse and a maximum load of 2.4KW.

(By fuse I mean protective device which is more likely to be a MCB these days)

Reply to
dcbwhaley

No problem in principle. Remember that junction boxes must remain accessible for inspection.

In general, you must allow 100W for each lighting point (or the maximum allowed wattage for non-pendant fittings). A standard 6A MCB will allow

1380W.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

sounds fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There is a caveat here: you can only use a 10A circuit protection if you have no SES or mini bayonet fitting lamp holders on the circuit.

Reply to
John Rumm