Abused word

Likewise for pharmacy. A qualified pharmacist (with a degree to prove it) can legally deal with Controlled Drugs, which a pharmacy technician can't (unless a pharmacist checks the technician's work afterwards).

My dad is a qualified pharmacist, even though he only worked in hospital pharmacy for a year or so before moving into research in a pharmaceutical company. My mum was a pharmacy technician who worked at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. When SMH opened a new spinal injuries centre, they needed people to go in one weekend to help transport drugs etc from the main pharmacy to one in the spinal unit. My sister and I, and my mum, were able to take most things, but my dad was in hot demand because he was allowed to transport Controlled Drugs, even though he hadn't worked in hospital pharmacy for about 20 years.

And yes, a Certain Person from Leeds who did a lot of fundraising for SMH

*was* there. I just thought he was an annoying git, but my sister, who was about the age that he liked, said his wandering hands and false mateyness made her feel *very* uncomfortable. This was long, long before anything was known about him, even though I'm sure a lot was suspected and hushed up.
Reply to
NY

And being a member of a relevant professional body does not, in itself, make you Chartered.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Even then you can call yourself a Chartered Electrical Engineer without paying the Engineering Council fees.

Reply to
Fredxx

In article <XnsAA4076B379586TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.236>, DerbyBorn snipped-for-privacy@Nearhome.com writes

I think you're fighting a losing battle there.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Well over there an engineer drives a steam train. And anything they say eventually gets copied over here - as in upcoming.

Reply to
bert

This was very noticeable when I worked at CERN. The German techs in the physics groups were very formal with their German physicist bosses, in a way that did not happen for the other nationalities.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've got a certificate of education.

Several actually.

General ones, at O level :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I and many other "Engineers" would agree. BUT The title engineer isnt protected and more to the point common UK usage of the word means any attempt to change the present status is a lost cause.

Reply to
Robert

I got up early on sunday to watch the London marathin does that make me an athlete. Could I apply for celebrity masterchef ? People can call themselves whatever they like, dosnlt make it true though.

Reply to
whisky-dave

RIBA may well be the snitch but it's the ARB that prosecutes

Robin

"Engineer" is like many others terms (such as "accountant" and "lawyer") which can be used freely. On the other hand words which connote membership of a /regulated/ profession cannot: eg "chartered account", "solicitor", "barrister", "chartered engineer". And it is membership rather than just passing exams that decides. Hence eg solicitors who are "struck of the roll" can no longer lawfully call themselves solicitors.

The distinction probably ought to be taught at school.

Reply to
Robin

In most countries the title Doctor is reserved for people with a doctorate i.e. a research based qualification. In France, for example, what we would call a doctor is "un medecin".

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

That's an interesting one. I'm a Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the IET, but I stopped paying anything to the Engineering Council and IET several years ago. I still put CEng FIET with the other stuff after my name when it might matter (but this is virtually never, these days) - I'm probably breaking some dreadful rule, but most rules are generally for the guidance of wise men ...

Reply to
nothanks

When I was very young I thought that a person who worked in an office was called an officer.

Reply to
Max Demian

I don't think "Chartered Electrical Engineer" the correct designation. I think you would be an electrical engineer who is a chartered engineer. (I think that's right. My father was one. He was an AMIEE - an Associate Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers.)

Reply to
Max Demian

And as for solicitors...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Hmm, well suddenly back in the 1970s my Father became a TV Engineer when he had been a technetium. Why? So he got more money. It was all to do with the union. His job did not change he still worked at the factory fixing faulty production units and occasionally visiting the supply chain on the shop floor to check if it was a persistent error or just a mistake. Of course what did change over the years was outsourcing. Gone were the days of winding your own coils, you got a contractor to do that, and etc etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OK that is it, No more blind, I am now a tactile imaging consultant! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

True, but is there a separate word which is the courtesy title given to medical doctors as opposed to PhDs? Or do medical doctors not have a courtesy title in France - are they just plain Monsieur, Madame, Mademoiselle or Ms (assuming they don't have a PhD doctorate, of course)?

It always seemed perverse that surgeons start out as Mr, study at medical school and become Dr, then study to be a surgeon and revert to Mr ;-) And similarly for women: Miss/Ms/Mrs -> Dr -> Miss/Ms/Mrs.

Reply to
NY

I bet he was "in his element" as a technetium. I think your voice recognition software has confused technician with the chemical element technetium ;-)

Reply to
NY