Absolute rip-off crude oil derivatives

Should have gone to Lidl

Reply to
stuart noble

Since when has BT doing something been a guarantee of good sense?

Reply to
mike

- keep them in a lightproof sack

- have two teenage sons

Reply to
Bob Eager

Creosote.... ;-)

Reply to
Tim+

Baked potatoes freeze well.

Reply to
Capitol

Only if you want it once. Many Lidl products(500ml cola) now are being discontinued on a regular basis, it's nearly as bad as Costco. Also Lidl are unable to keep their stores stocked with some standard products, like whole milk for example.

Reply to
Capitol

Probably about 1920 when they started putting up poles.

Reply to
Capitol

Cool and dark is all they need

same as the wholesalers and farm storage units use.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think they do pressure treat them originally, but I believe that re-treatment in situ relies on pouring it into a channel round the base and letting it get wicked up.

Reply to
polygonum

Really?

I tried freezing portions of mash once, when I had more than I could use before going on holiday.

The result was noticeably less "nice". Didn't bother again.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I do

but the people that I buy this sort of one off "treat" for, can spot Lidl quality a mile off, even if you and I can't.

I don't bother anymore (they get nothing[1], instead!)

tim

[1] This year I've got them some puzzle magazines, they can't possibly complain about these, can they?
Reply to
tim.....

all vegetables have surprisingly inflexible cell walls which bursts when ice crystals form, so unless you use very rapid cooling what comes back is always mush.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no it wasn't mush

it was more rubbery

tim

Reply to
tim.....

4 degrees in the fridge cool, or something else (tried both)

and will the little light coming on twice a day be a problem!

I'm not being awkward here. I've tried everything that I can think of to keep potatoes longer then 10 days after buying them, to stop them either

a) going soft and wrinkly b) sprouting

and that's only to try and make a 5 kilo bag last until I 'use used them all a 15 of 25 kilo bag would just be 50% (plus) ending in the waste bin

tim

Reply to
tim.....

"Storage of potatoes for the fresh market is carried out at low temperatures, typically in the range 2 to 3.5°C. A storage temperature in this range is selected in order to maintain the appearance of crops, with conditions restricting the development of skin blemishing diseases, maintaining bloom and limiting weight loss. The maintenance of a low storage temperature however adds to the costs of storage and induces sweetening. As well as affecting flavour and texture, sugar formation in combination with amino acids, results in relatively high acrylamide levels when certain preparation methods are employed."

- See more at:

I absolutely agree that most potatoes tend to get to unusable in very short order. The sweetness is definitely an issue - so many are far sweeter than I like. I do not know the answer but I do suspect that bringing them from commercial storage temperatures to typical kitchen acts as a rocket under sprout development.

Reply to
polygonum

What have I started? :-)

We keep the big bags in a cool utility room (not THAT cool) in a lightproof container, opened only when potatoes are required. Not sure how long a bag lasts, but not that long...sons tend to cook in the early hours...

Reply to
Bob Eager

And you think the likes of Tesco never run out of the type of milk you want?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We are talking about Lidl. Tesco are quite good in comparison. M & S are similar to Lidl. The corner shop IME never runs out of stock.

Reply to
Capitol

A thread that is sprouting like, ummm, errr, a potato kept too warm. :-)

We have nowhere properly cool - though the kitchen has no heating of its own so is mostly not very warm. At least in the winter - because being south-facing, it warms up a lot the rest of the year.

Reply to
polygonum

I have no need to buy 25Kg now (would last all year) but when a family were eating we kept ours in an unheated garden shed, in the paper sack they came in (unwashed), protected from frost in the worst of the winter under an old duffle coat. Take out the amount needed each day. Never had a problem with them going soft or sprouting until late March or April time.

Reply to
CB