AA batteries what is a full charge

I was referring to discharge characteristics. Lithium-ion rechargeables and alkaline primary cells keep their charge in storage better than NiCads or NiMHs.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

I don't disagree with any of that. Lithium-ion keeps its charge better where the camera isn't being used over a few weeks. Starting from scratch I'd buy Lithium-ion.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

A trifle dramatic to throw out all rechargeables.

Eneloops are good batteries -- and I've been using Sanyo rechargeables since 1976. However, they're just better-quality NiMH batteries and not available in the wide range of shapes and sizes that lithium-ion batteries are.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

Check the price before you buy. And if it's not acceptable, then don't buy from the that are doing the dirty on you. I have two batteries for my Casio which has followed me across four continents and taken tens of thousands of shots.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

Most cameras using lithium batteries have removable batteries which can be swapped out for a fully-charged one. And separate chargers are readily available.

AA-sized batteries make for a camera that's not very pocketable. Hence lithium batteries used in cameras are usually flat and rectangular.

I agree, but at seven years old, it makes little sense to invest a significant amount of money in equipping an older camera.

I've been using my own camera for about seven years now and know it's living on borrowed time. However I'm not sure that I can find anything on the market which meets my requirements, particularly regarding size, optical viewfinder, metal body etc.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

My own is about seven years old and has taken tens of thousands of shots across four continents. Thousands of these were copying documents. Any such camera has probably outlived its design life and is living on borrowed time.

Looking at what's on the market at the moment, I'm not sure I see anything I could identify as the ideal replacement. The optical viewfinder, all-metal body and metal tripod socket are important to me, as is truly pocketable size -- must go into a shirt pocket.

I have a spare lithium rechargeable battery and charger. A camera taking AAs would be larger than I would wish.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

I've had a couple that used AAA cells in the past, and they were very pocketable.

A tenner for four AA cells, including a charger?

And you can use the cells in other gear after the camera dies.

Reply to
John Williamson

Because their discharge characteristics lead to a high self-discharge rate, while lithium-ion batteries don't suffer from this to anything like the same extent.

Less hassle and you know the camera's going to work in three weeks' time.

Living on borrowed time. My own is the same age and the same applies. I would replace rather than investing more money in the same system.

Well, I might turn that around and send it back to sender! :-). What you get from me is what you and others give -- an opinion based on the available facts.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

LCDs have improved considerably since 7 years ago, so an optical viewfinder is no longer the necessity it once was - which is why they're so hard to find, especially in a small camera. I used to want one, but now I have a camera with a decent screen I no longer need it.

(my camera does have metal body and tripod socket).

Reply to
Clive George

I'm aware of the improvements -- which are real -- and I do handle current-production models. It's when I'm out abroad in very bright light that really there's no substitute for an optical viewfinder.

Similarly I'm aware that there are very good plastics available, but IMHO there's still no substitute for a quality alloy body. Not least when it comes to tripod sockets :-)

The weakest spot on most cameras seems to be the flap covering the battery and/or SD card which is one reason I like the ability to charge the battery in the camera.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

Never had a problem with my panasonic, including abroad in bright light.

Again, my panasonic seems solid enough there. Metal body, tripod mount.

Reply to
Clive George

And if I were forced to replace my present camera, there are several Panasonic models which might be in the running. But I'm not desperate yet :-)

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

Yeah, the screen on my TZ10 is excellent. Even in the brightest of light you can see it clearly

Reply to
chris French

A lot have removable but special battery packs which makes them very difficult to replace with standard sized batteries.

Reply to
Mark

You probably can -- but I would still prefer standard sized batteries, rather than have to buy a different charger for each device.

Reply to
Mark

Being a glasses wearer I prefer a LCD screen over a viewfinder.

Reply to
Mark

Ah - the joys of internet searches. I've yet to meet a camera for which I couldn't source a spare battery after a few minutes looking around.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Which is not at variance with what was stated. He merely said it was difficult to replace such packs with standard ones - presumably to cut down on the number of chargers/spare batteries needed fro various equipment.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Depends on usage patterns to a large extent.

So is everyone. Perhaps we should all go off to Dignitas.

He's investing in AA batteries FFS. Hardly unique to any "system".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Correct. And I would imagine spare battery packs will be considerably more expensive than standard cells.

Reply to
Mark