A-V Senders ...

In article , Arfa Daily scribeth thus

Do you mean 5.8 Ghz this is the band in use for that. 'Tho very few laptops wi-fi points etc have that in that as yet. It does work very well for point to point use....

Reply to
tony sayer

>RK:MESELX:IT>>>

5.8 GHz, yes.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

5.8GHz and 2.4GHz (and others) are ISM frequencies, in short anything can use them within power limits, and anything has to expect interference from everything else using them ...

of types of devices are making the switch from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz due to overcrowding, but it won't take long for the overcrowding to catch up.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you can use cable then do. Once its set up it'll be rock solid for the next 100 years. That's true of anything nowadays, with the proliferation of short rf links.

NT

Reply to
NT

Andy Burns wibbled on Tuesday 29 June 2010 10:03

We tried 802.11a at work. One of the reasons it's not popular is it is actually pretty crap at going through anything compared to 2.4GHz. We got it through 2 drywalls at short range and that was about the limit. Brick I would imagine would be worse, so unless you are covering a large open plan office or a garden it's a bit useless.

Given open air it's pretty good though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have a look at the way Ofcom have planned the band, theres different parts of the band for differing applications.

Its been around quite some time now...

IIRC..

A Indoor nomadic

B outdoor nomadic

C point to point

Reply to
tony sayer

Installed about 30 access points, all except one are only configured for b/g use at the moment, as the customer has exactly zero n capable devices.

I have configured one access point for a/n because *my* laptop has a/b/g/n capability, using MIMO with 40MHz channels I get throughput of

9Mbytes/sec from a link speed of 270Mbits/sec, I suspect the intel windows drivers are the bottleneck.

It seems to make it through a couple of solid 1950's brick walls or a concrete floor and a modern partition wall or two OK, not a scientific test, just wandering around corridors with a laptop or phone in hand.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is a Wi-Fi band @ 5GHz, 802.11a. Any AV sender can be interfered with, so much for their advertising.

Reply to
dennis

I wasn't aware of OFCOM's bands, but it seems their band A (5150 to 5350 MHz) and band B (5470 to 5725 MHz) are below the ISM frequency range, and their band C (5725 to 5850 MHz) doesn't quite cover the whole of the ISM range (5725 to 5875 MHz).

So I don't think it changes anything as far as competing WiFi and video senders are concerned ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wibbled on Tuesday 29 June 2010 13:42

Maybe it's improved - our test on specifically 802.11a was a few years back. Never tried 802.11n.

Reply to
Tim Watts

So you think Ofcom have got it wrong in the UK;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Dunno, situation sound similar to 2.4GHz where we can only use channels

1-13 in the UK, America uses 1-11 but Japan can use up to 1-14,
Reply to
Andy Burns

In fact on some of the 5.8 Ghz link equipment we have you can set the firmware for around 6 differing countries all with differing versions of the 5.8 Ghz band;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Be careful what you set them too.. the UK 5G band is unlicensed *unless* you interfere with licensed stuff. If you do interfere you need a license. You won't get a license and you may be fined.

Reply to
dennis

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Would you care to elaborate a bit on that please?.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there....

Reply to
tony sayer

Just paraphrasing what the law appears to say.

You can use stuff in that band unlicensed as long as it doesn't interfere with stuff the government uses. If you do interfere they can tell you that you need a license for your kit, so much for it being an unlicensed band. They will reject any application for a license from you so if you continue to use it you can be fined and/or the kit removed. AIUI they are arse covering in case it interferes with radar, or other military stuff which can use that band.

Reply to
dennis

RST 000, me thinks ...

Reply to