A Long Long Tale of B&Q Mixer Taps

I bought a kitchen mixer set with twin taps from B&Q around

6 months ago.

On opening it for the first time yesterday, just to measure the exact length of the tap stems I noticed that inside the mixer body - under where the arm will fit there were still traces of the mould sand. It was definitely mould sand as you could scrape it off with a screwdriver to reveal the brass underneath. Fair enough maybe the insides of all mixer bodies have traces of mould sand as the insides are a hard place to get at.

However having started poking around I noticed there was a big sand covered obstruction in the hollow mixer body between the cold tap and the middle, but no similar obstruction between the hot tap and the middle. Not knowing much about taps and having bought it at B&Q I automatically assumed it was a fault. Possibly my first big mistake.

So I went to B&Q this morning hoping to buy a perfect set, intending to use that receipt to return the old set and get a refund as I couldn't find the B&Q receipt from 6 months ago.

- Definitely my second big mistake Although it will probably turn up around next March.

Anyway going back to B&Q this morning I started checking the others in stock. They're well packed with strapping so it takes a Stanley knife to open them, which I'd brought along.

The first one I opened had a similar obstruction and I was spotted by the assistant opening the second one. "Hey what are you doing ?" I half lost my rag with the poor guy, explaining that B&Q sold such rubbish it was necessary to open everything first. I then calmed down and explained the problem to him inviting him to poke his finger inside the mixer to feel the obstruction for himself. When he was satisfied it was there, we both opened the second set and the problem was the same. He then went and got various tools and effectively destroyed the second mixer set trying and failing to get the taps off to see if you could feel the obstruction from the other side.

This was now pointless as without a good set to buy, to get a receipt to get a refund on the faulty ones, I was going to have to try a different tack. I called for the manager just to get him to confirm there was an obstruction. He confirmed there was, didn't know anything about taps either, explained he didn't have the discretion to give refunds without a receipt and suggested I phoned B&Q head office. He was writing out various addresses - this was after I'd been there about half and hour and I just got up and said "sod it, I'm walking away from this, you can have my £50 mate" and walked out.

Having got home, I thought I'd try connecting the set up to the garden hose using a spare flexible tap connector, and the cold tap seems to work o.k despite the obstruction. So maybe there's supposed to be an obstruction there on the cold water side. Dunno.

The problem as I explained to the people in B&Q is that its a lot of hassle turning the water off to fit a new set of taps especially if you only find out later there's something wrong with them. Maybe someone there could be expected to know what the insides of a mixer body are supposed to look like without destroying the taps in an effort to be helpful, or maybe not.

Anyway, its fingers crossed.

michael adams

michael adams

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "michael adams" saying something like:

The cold kitchen tap is mains connected and the hot is normally (still, in most houses) tank fed. A built-in restrictor on the cold feed makes sense. Unlike the Froggies, who tend to have equal pressure kitchen mixers, more suitable for a pressurised hot and cold, or equally low pressures, if needed. It'll probably be ok.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That seems odd, though... why not leave the restrictor out and let people add one upstream on the cold supply only if they need it?

Reply to
Jules

I thought that at first, that it might be to do with the different pressure but then thought that would be best solved surely, by changing a bore inside the actual tap. Rather than a hit and miss approach with a lump in the middle of a hollow casting. It hardly looks or feels like precision engineering. Anyway the garden tap is full mains pressure - it feeds in before the internal stopcock and the garden hose never fell off at either end and there were no leaks when running the full pressure mains through the hose and out through the cold tap. I just feel a bit mean for being so nasty to the B&Q staff in walking off in a huff. They were doing their best even if they didn't have a clue. Cheap jibe - B & Clueless.

I'm probably banned now anyway,

michael adams

michael adams