A lamp blew and then...

Just as an update I've made up the dimmer. Used a Knightsbridge polished chrome 2 gang plate from TLC. Which I've used before to make 'specials' like say for AV.

I think the last one I used was chrome on brass. So not that difficult to drill/work. This one - not in the usual Knightsbridge cardboard box seems to be polished stainless steel. Looks just fine, but a nightmare to drill. Blunted a couple of new 2mm HSS drills while attempting the first pilot hole. Eventually used a tungsten one. And broke it on the forth. Enlarged it 0.5mm at a time - it did get easier with the larger sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I bought a baby bench grinder to sharpen drills.

Reply to
jon

with stainless steel, you need to use cobalt drill bits.

drill slowly and dont let the drill tip get too hot. (the heat will blunt the drill tip quickly

My Dad was a light engineer. He kept a small bottle cap on his bench with some wadding in it that he soaked with oil. Wgile drilling, he would periodically dip the drill tip into the cap to keep his drill bits cool. well cooler.

Reply to
pinnerite

You need to stop it heating - lubrication and cooling - constant.

Reply to
JohnP