a first - locking petrol cap froze up

my locking petrol cap froze up this morning stopping me getting petrol...took until lunch time for it to thaw out regardless of wd40 injection...strange...anybody else?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

At least you could get your car out of the garage :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

You should have taken a blow-torch to it...........

Reply to
Davey

Hot water? Hair dryer?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oil to melt ice? De-icing sprays have been around for years. Hot water would have worked!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

don't keep it in my garage

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

you don't get that in line for petrol

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

that would have worked

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

Maybe it was made by the same folk who make Wheelie bins. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had that problem with the flap on the charging socket. Warm water released it but I carefully blasted air around it and lioberally dosed it with WD40 , as a water dispersabt. Feared leaving water around it would lead to further freezing up

Reply to
fred

best thing for it....tee hee

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

what with range anxiiety you can't use thre heater anyway....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Simple answer. Piss on it!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

On Tuesday I tried to open the bonnet of my car but nothing happened. I had to resist the temptation to pull harder. On Wednesday I drove the car no more than 30 mph suddenly the bonnet came up to the 2nd catch and there was warning on the instrument panel. I drove a few more miles then stopped. Fully opened the bonnet and then dropped it closed. I have never had that particular problem before.

At the beginning of the journey I drove down a short hill and went round the right hand bend at the bottom. The car did slip slightly as I braked before the bend. When I came back I noticed tracks in the mud showing that a vehicle had gone straight on instead of following the bend.

Reply to
Michael Chare

"Alex Ferguson" hair dryer ?

Reply to
Andrew

Doesn't Commander Kinsey live in your neck of the woods ?.

His African Greys would get your filler cap off just like they remove the keys from his keyboard.

Reply to
Andrew

Can a guy piss lock deicer ?

Maybe after a few whiskys ?

A typical situation, is a guy owns a container of lock deicer with the plastic straw on the end of it, puts it in the boot of the car. Then, every last lock on the car freezes, and you can't get at the lock deicer to use it.

Lock deicer is "addictive". The more you use it on a lock, the more you "need it". It gets the guts of the lock dirty, makes water lodge in it easier, then even for minor freeze-ups the lock is sticking. Sometimes you will see a car, with a runny stain just below the drivers lock, and that's an "addict" who has just been pouring and pouring the deicer into their car. Once you start using that stuff, be prepared to keep spares of it. It's usually pretty cheap... but not in our current economy.

"Isopropyl alcohol is often sold in aerosol cans as a windshield or door lock deicer."

There is more in the container than that. The mineral oil is what keeps an addict using it.

Isopropyl Alcohol Mineral Oil Carbon Dioxide (propellant)

It doesn't say what percentages.

On car door locks, it's not always the lock itself that is frozen. There are other moving parts that stick more readily, and you can't get the deicer on those. If you were thinking "ooh, easy peasy", no, you can still be kept out of your car, even after using the deicer and waiting a bit.

Sometimes, you can enter a car via the boot, use the release rod to get a rear seat down, climb into the main part of the car... and still not be able to lift the door lock button. The button being jammed shut. Even the Mighty Hercules cannot lift the button then (lack of leverage to do it).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

ha ha

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

There is always a video. You watch videos until it thaws out and summer is here.

"Defrosting a Gas Cap"

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A much quicker and foolproof method for Jim

alan_m