A dog's life... after the referendum

Well the Egyptians were keen on line breeding and look what happened to them. Depends what you want. Dog breeds were mostly developed for a working purpose and that's where the pedigrees were important. Nowadays they are mostly associated with the show world.

Reply to
bert

Well exactly, Why on earth do people think pedigrees exist?

Because back in the dawn of time Man noticed that physical and behavioural traits were to an extent passed on from parents to child, and so the idea of controlled breeding, and separate breeds developed.

Pedigree records simply acknowledged that.

They weren't invented by pet snobs.

You stand a much better chance of getting a good gundog from a pedigree background that includes good working dogs in it.

However be advised that just because your pup has a retriever champion as its dad doesn't mean the dear thing will be a decent gundog. Fetching a green canvas sack in a showground does not involve 12 bores going off all around. You may end up with a dog that tries to get into bed with you every time there is a thunderstorm, and sits cowering and shaking or runs 2 miles if he hears guns going off round the house. DAMHIKT ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well you obviopusly don't live in te country, where dogs work, and where breed is very important, and people select on breed even when its a pet, because they want a specific characteristic. For example, I dont think there is a single instance of a baby ever being mailed by a black labrador. But it happens with other breeds.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if you take it to a shoot when very young.

Reply to
charles

Oh, but we did. In fact that's where the phobia seems to have started.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dennis

Well i stand corrected, I cant understand what must have happened there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIUI you were making wild claims without a clue as to reality. Situation normal.

Reply to
dennis

I think you will find that the article actually backs up my assertion that black labradors are noted for their docility.

But of course you cant wait for any chance for an ad hominem can you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
8<

That's your job and you do it very well. You have demonstrated that you need no reason at all to do it.

Reply to
dennis

Well I live in the UK where some dogs work and I work one myself, but I would say the majority of breeds are no longer used for the working purpose for which they were bred.

I'm not sure that Labs are bred for the fact they don't maul babies.

What, they are bred to maul babies?

Reply to
bert

They are noted for being soft-mouthed which is a characteristic bred in for their working role.

Reply to
bert

well effectively yes. Terriers are bred to maul rats for example. A rugrat is pretty much a rat in smelly pants. You would be a fool to9 have a terrier and a baby.

Labs are bred to retrieve. To carry, not to bite anything.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IMO you would be a fool to have any dog with a baby.

Well babies can be killed by being carried not just by being bitten. Once such case involved a Rottie who decided to bring out baby from where it had been left out of the way during house move and in picking it up like it would a puppy broke its neck.

Reply to
bert

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Labs don't carry things that big.

Reply to
9pl

In article , 9pl writes

Friend of mine had a Lab which took a dislike to a Yorkie* . Grabbed it by the scruff and went off into the lake to drown it; he had to leap in and rescue it. A new born bay isn't much bigger than a Yorkie.

  • That's Yorkshire Terrier not chocolate bar.
Reply to
bert

What people appear to forget is they are dogs and they all behave like dogs whatever the breed.

Reply to
dennis

I assume you have never owned a dog then?

Another thing you pronounce solemn opinions on, about which you know SFA.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So what do your dogs behave like? Monkeys?

Reply to
dennis

Labs don't do that with babies.

BULLSHIT.