A bit OT: Wireless computer keyboards

Hah!

I spend all day working with Solaris boxes. Linux is too much like the day job - Windows just annoys (although Win7 is getting much better...).

MacOS is the perfect combination of 'just works' but lets me delve into bash when I want to :-)

I'm also not completely convinced it's that expensive - for a comparable windows machine of similar build quality and spec that is.

Not getting into that argument just now though ;-) I like Macs. I like Macos. I'm willing to pay for the convenience :-)

Darren - I've also got an iPhone and an appleTV - shoot me ;-)

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Don't suppose you've got it right next to a DECT phone? Or a wifi access point? That buggers them

Heh, normal. Try looking at the Macs and asking questions...

Only wireless mouse I have that has worked 100 reliably is my MS Arc Mouse that I use with my laptop. Fantastic for a portable mouse (although I wish it was bluetooth)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I have a DECT phone right next to this wireless keyboard and mouse. Never experienced any problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my experience, quite a few come set that way but it can be turned off in BIOS.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Well the keyboard in question - which prompted this thread - has

*neither* a reset button *nor* a connect button. It just works (usually!) when you put batteries in it and plug the USB dongle into the computer.
Reply to
Roger Mills

"Smash forehead against keyboard to continue."

Reply to
Skipweasel

=A0 London SW

That was one reason for DECT 6...2.4/5.8MHz interfered with WIFI.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I had one that didn't, and one that did.

Microsoft Arc mouse fine. Elcheapo noname unreliable. Moving the two apart by a few m largely cured the problem.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

=A0 =A0 London SW

Sorry...that should be GHz not MHz.

Reply to
Bob Villa

He means the default setting in the BIOS is to halt on keyboard errors. I've not seen one less than a decade old that didn't boot after you changed it to ignore keyboard errors.

Reply to
dennis

Ah yes, the famous message "No keyboard detected! Press F1 to resume"

Reply to
OG

It would be odd if there wasn't someway of pairing the dongle and the keyboard. If you can't then you can only use one within wireless range or they have done it as part of manufacture which adds expense. If there isn't a button it may well be a key combination, I don't suppose the manual is around?

Reply to
dennis

More OT that the original message:

The moral of the story is that if you are using a wireless keyboard with your DESKTOP computer, you better have a wired one nearby... Ben Myers

Reply to
Ben Myers

Same thing happens here with my printer switch sharing the PC and the (20-year-old) A5000.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I use Uniprint which allows the RPC to access the PC printer via my LAN. Means you can use any printer - rather than one which is RISC OS compatible. But I dunno if Uniprint would work with an A5000.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@f30g2000yqa.googlegroups.com, harry typed on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 01:49:51 -0800 (PST):

You have other RF stuff like WiFi, cordless phones, even call phones, etc. can interfere with each other.

Yup, if there was any doubts before, that should lay them to rest. As the connect button changes to another channel. Your mileage might vary, but I have found them WiFi channel 8 works the best for me. As it seems like this channel doesn't interfere with other wireless equipment.

Also years ago they used to have IR wireless keyboards and mice. I haven't seen them around anymore (but they might still make them). And since they use inferred (IR) light instead of radio waves, all of these problems disappear. They work like your TV remote. And work up to 30 feet or more. Although they have to see one another to work. Not always directly, as it can work bouncing off of a wall, mirror, or something too. These IR keyboards and mouse were very popular with those computers that used your TV as a computer screen. Although since TVs generally make terrible computer monitors, they never caught on much.

Reply to
BillW50

It most certainly is! It's also on-line at:

you can read it yourself

Reply to
Roger Mills

In news:ifi2gr$ph2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, Ben Myers typed on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:47:07 -0500:

I dunno Ben? As some wireless are really exceptional really. This Micro Innovations KB985W has really been great. Although there was one design flaw in the beginning that was just terrible. And that was the keyboard used two AA batteries and if the voltage dropped below 3.0 volts, some keys stopped to work. And it doesn't take long for fresh alkaline batteries to drop below 1.5 volts. Plus I use rechargeable NiMH anyway and they never reach 1.5v anyway when fully charged.

So I disassembled the keyboard to get to the battery connections. I opened it up the wrong way and springs and silicon caps all over the floor. That was lots of fun, not! But I was very impressed how it was made. As all of the key contacts was sealed in a layer of plastic. As I am sure you could spill liquid on this keyboard and it wouldn't hurt a thing. And Micro Innovations never mentioned this is a spill proof keyboard.

Anyway I installed a new battery holder to hold three batteries instead of two. Now the keyboard works till each battery drops down to 1.0v per cell. For rechargeable, this takes 6 to 8 months and for alkaline it works for over a year. The mouse also uses two batteries, but luckily that works fine with just two.

I found others on the Internet having the same problems with their Micro Innovations keyboards and I posted this fix. And surprisingly after my posting, later versions of this keyboard actually uses three batteries and not two. So if anybody is looking for this keyboard / mouse combo, get the three battery keyboard model and not the two (unless you want to modify it).

And besides the mouse will go to sleep in 10 minutes or so if you don't use it (wakes up with a mouse click), it works exactly like a wired mouse and keyboard in all other respects. Even getting into the BIOS setup and everything. And it works with every OS as well. And it uses standard wired keyboard and mouse drivers.

And I don't believe Micro Innovations is the only one that makes wireless keyboards and mice that actually work. But there are some out there that does work like they are supposed to. From this thread alone, it sounds like Microsoft also makes one that actually works.

Reply to
BillW50

It all depends on whether one is a belt-and-suspenders person. Some day, a wireless keyboard will either die, the batteries will run out (and no replacements available) or malfunction (as happened to the OP with a laptop) with a desktop. Then what? You have a wireless keyboard that apparently always has worked. Some day, it may not.

Same principle applies to other wifi technology. My laptop with wifi goes everywhere with a short Cat 5 cable in the bag... Ben

Reply to
Ben Myers

When you take all the caps off a keyboard (so you can stick 'em in a pillowcase and then in the washing machine) take a photo first and leave it on the desktop so you can get at it with just the mouse.

Reply to
Skipweasel