9 car pileiup M6..

The Border is lower on the west, just south of Gretna, which is almost exactly the same latitude as Newcastle, at a tad below 55 deg North. Carlisle is about 10 miles south of Gretna.

Even so you still have a 100 odd mile journey up to the central belt of Glasgow/Edinburgh and they are only half way up Scotland, if that...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh yes there is but the Haggis are getting tired now and getting replacement counter clockwise Haggis at this time of year and this far south can be problematical.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Shoe, or fish?

Reply to
Davey

It was in 1972. I suspect motorways didn't carry a high enough density and speed to generate pile-ups much before then, although there were certainly accidents involving smaller numbers of vehicles.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nowhere near half way.

Over 250 miles by road from Edinburgh to Wick.

Berwick about 50 miles from Edinburgh.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From my point of view, even Inverness is The South...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Brrrrrr!

Reply to
GB

On the north coast, although it's very windy we tend to be much warmer than places farther south, like the Cairngorms.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I suspect it rather depends upon your definition of a pile up. In 1962, the Road Research Laboratory published a report on the effects of speed limits that was commissioned as a result of a number of multi-vehicle accidents on the M1.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Or pirate?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

Sounds a bit fishy.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I remember a road sign above some traffic lights in Wolverhampton that said "Go only when green". That's as far north as I want to go

Reply to
stuart noble

The ICI works on Tees-side used to have their own 33Hz supply

Reply to
charles

On the west coast it's 100+ miles from the Border to the Central belt, which is the side this bit of the thread is talking about. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True - which questions what The North actually means! The north of Great Britain or the north of England? Or some couldn't-be-bothered-to-think-it-through term? Have always been surprised how few signs in England mention Scotland (or any place in that country) at all. I would have expected to see signs from somewhere like Preston onwards saying "The North and Scotland" - but it is not until you are almost falling over the border they really start to appear.

Reply to
polygonum

In the 1970s, Dreamland funfair in Margate was still being supplied with DC.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It's a fare cop :(

Reply to
Robin

Generated by a record player?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

;-)

Glasgow is almost the same distance by road from Wick as Edinburgh.

Perth is called the centre of Scotland. Although those who live in Edinburgh or Glasgow may thing they are the centre. Bit like London. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The old A1 has signs 'to the north' just outside London.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)