Tap and Die Set

A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap and die set. (Why didn't I send it back? Really don't know - I should have. Maybe I didn't actually use it for quite a while after buying.)

Recently I have had several occasions when that set has failed to help and an alternative approach was needed. Now, being asked "What do you want for Christmas dear?" it is an obvious thing to suggest. But I really don't want to repeat the mistake. At the same time, I don't need anything amazing - mostly cleaning up threads, making the odd new thread in the less taxing materials, etc.

Looked at Axminster - very limited but they have this £28 set:

feel it is at the very bottom of the range - and similar/identical versions are available around.

There's an ebay chappie selling "Mannesmann Tap and Die Set 32pcs. Metric Thread Cutting Tool Premium Set GS TUV" -item 200862148209. Looks OK and am willing to allow several auctions to pass so as to pay the lower end prices - maybe £35.

Screwfix look to be dreadful and limited. Even their £80 set gets a drubbing. And that is more than I would wish to be spent.

Toolstation's £40 set does claim to be tungsten steel. (Is that a good thing? The Mannesmann set says S2 steel.)

Any suggestions?

Reply to
polygonum

The problem with the bottom end sets is they're made of carbon steel. Look for a tool steel as a minimum.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Big jump in price because (I think) HSS has to be ground which is much more expensive than heat treating carbon steel.

Properly hardened and tempered carbon steel is fine. You just don't know until you over torque it.

Half forward, quarter back!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just curious, but in what way were they awful? I've got some el cheapo taps and dies (Lidl) and they're ok for soft materials. Up to mild steel. Thing is 'name' ones are several times the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 10/12/2012 17:17, polygonum wrote: ...

Tungsten steel is a common, if rather old fashioned, term for high speed steel (molybdenum and vanadium are also used in modern alloys). S2 is IMO a slightly odd choice for cutting tools. It is an impact resistant steel, meant for things like hammers and chisels.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It seems that Brüder Mannesmann is not a manufacturer, but an importer, so tools made in S2 might well be old chisels recycled in a third world country.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Anything in the clearance sale here?

Andy Burns

The really awful parts are the tap and die holders.

The tap holder in particular is utterly unable to hold a tap - each time you coax it into play, the screw undoes itself. It think I have used an adjustable wrench more than the thing that is supposed to work.

One of the taps would not cut - and ended up being largely smooth.

The blow-moulded case falls open as you look at it. And things move around inside.

I did think about the Lidl ones - and mild steel is quite possibly as hard a substance as I need them to work on.

I was hoping to keep down around 40-ish - I simply don't need them enough to allow partner to pay much more.

Reply to
polygonum

The set there I might have gone for has some missing bits - replacement of which would bump up cost a bit. Shame because they look pretty good.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks. They look better than some - but looks don't count when cutting a thread!

Reply to
polygonum

they are cheap they don't sell 'shit'

Buy some proper cutting paste (for mild steel Trefolex, Rocol RTD, or CT-90)

Reply to
The Other Mike

Forward back, take up the slack. :¬)

Reply to
nobody

Do you have a thread file? I use mine more often than the dies for cleaning up a thread.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

No - and I am clumsy as anything so using something like a file strikes me as a bad idea! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I think this:

the same as one they sell - but less expensive. So that is what I have passed on to partner! If anyone thinks this a bad choice, please let me know asap!

Reply to
polygonum

Ah - right. I'd probably agree with that - but I have a decent one bought earlier. I don't use the dies anything like as often.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Incidentally, why is the expression 'as straight as a die' not 'as straight as a tap'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It might be similar or even the same, but I'd sooner deal with Arc Euro than Warco :)

I'm a tool snob so I prefer to use Dormer, Presto or Guhring to Chinese or Indian cheapies

Reply to
The Other Mike

That is the only sensible choice for anyone who uses tools regularly. However, it is difficult to justify to the occasional user paying as much for one good quality tap as for a whole set from a different manufacturer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Just for interest, when we used to holiday in Devon, I used to drag the family to somewhere to keep them occupied while I wandered round Tracy's Tools. I usually bought individual taps and dies from them for specific needs eg when building the boat.

Google still finds them. I used to find whoever was in the shop friendly, knowledgeable (compared with me) and helpful. That was 25 years ago. Anyone tried them recently?

Reply to
Bill