8 inch skirting mitres

How do I mitre 8 inch skirting cant get a mitre box for to do it. Thank you for any help.

Reply to
jacquieg

The message from "jacquieg" contains these words:

Make a bigger mitrebox.

Anyway, skirting's better scribed than mitred. Run one bit right into the corner then use a fretsaw to profile the end of the other bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Very interesting. How do mark out the second piece for cutting with the fretsaw?

Reply to
Bookworm

When faced with the same problem .... I persuaded my wife that this was an ideal time to buy (from B&Q) a sliding compound mitre saw! I marched into the B&Q shed armed with an offcut of the skirting board and offered up the work-piece to the tool to assure myself it would be 'fit for purpose'. The solution is to place the work-piece (Skirting board) down flat and cut with the blade 'slanting' ----\---- (if you see what I mean - that's supposed to be an elevation]. The sloping cut doesn't _have_ to be at 45 deg either- one can take-off the exact angle and half it.

Worked for me! :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You mitre it and then cut the mitred bit out with a coping saw which leaves the profile you want.

You can get a needle gauge and use that. Or a scrap piece to draw around.

Reply to
dennis

The message from "Bookworm" contains these words:

On the flat back, using a bit of scrap as a template.

Reply to
Guy King

Two ways:

One is to cut a rough mitre by eye in the profiled bit of a piece of scrap skirting. Then lay it flat on the back of the skirting and draw round the end.

Or, get a square ended bit of scrap and balance it end on against the back of the skirting and draw round the profile.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not on an external corner like you get on a chimney breast, surely? You'd see the end grain. Agreed for internal ones, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You offer up a square end to the bit to be scribed and draw round the profile. It gets a bit complicated if you have a fancy moulding, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And cut from the back with a jigsaw. Personally I prefer mitres on the outside corners and scribed on the inside. Overall it's much easier to butt join plain 6" x 1" and just mitre a 2" moulding to go on top. That you can do by hand on a small mitre box. 8" mitres are difficult, and most chop/pullover saws I've used don't function well at the full 45 tilt. Gripfil to fix to the wall. Not everyone's idea of a "proper job" of course, but it's neater, quicker, and allows the wood to sit nice and straight rather than being tightened against a wonky wall

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Yes, sorry, I should have made that clear!

Reply to
Guy King

Mark it out and cut it with an ordinary panel saw.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I didn't know that there was another way.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why would you _not_ mitre? I think the mitred joints in my house look OK. Mitred joints are surely easier (except perhaps in the case of 8" skirting!)

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

With a compound slide mitre saw. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Because the timber, if softwood, *will* shrink and open out the mitre. Doesn't show as much on a scribed joint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Profiling is the way to go,but you still have to mitre outside corners.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've found one of the a godsend when profiling Taurus skirting.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yup - but since this is usually things like chimney breasts glue the mitre then the movement should be all at the scribed joint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's bull.

Reply to