8 guns/ 4 guns Spitfire - don't get it

yes. AFAICT the issue is that negative G pushes the fuel to the top, and the float then floats *underneath* it in the sort of position that allows the float valve to open fully.

The orifice is deigned to limit the amount of fuel that can actually flow in, to more or less the peak expected flow on full throttle. So it won't do the real job (Inverted flight) , but it prevents MASSIVE flooding when the stick gets pushed forward. Things just get a little rich instead

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Take a look at 1h23m04 of Reach For the Sky, you can see the black smoke from the rich cut as the Spitfire rolls:

Spike

This was apparently the main reason why the 12-gun Spitfire wasn't proceeded with - the deflection of the wings throwing the outer guns somewhat off aim.

Not in 1940...

There was an issue with the HS404 that meant that in combat the guns could misfire. The official view was that the rounds were being too lightly struck by the (fairly light) bolt, the solution being to machine

1/16th or so from the face of the receiver, so that the bolt would be travelling faster and make a misfire less likely. When that was done, stoppages reduced to an acceptable level.
Reply to
Spike

Agreed.

That was fixed by the end of the B of B, and that is when the cannon fighters started coming in. BUT the Westland Whirlwind had been a cannon fighter in the late 30s. It just got overtaken by the Beaufighters and Mosquitoes. And RR dumped the Kestrel in favour of developing the Merlin, and the Griffon.

If a Mosquito got its ideas from anywhere, it was the Whirlwind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I read that the trick to following a BofB diving 109 was to half roll and then dive.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

indeed, but its extra time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not so much the Bofors - but it does shift sideways and up in the air when you fire the 105mm Howitser!

Reply to
John Rumm

The Hawker factory in Kingston on Thames didn't have a runway. Every plane left by road.

Reply to
charles

There's something surreal about seeing a tube train on a lorry ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I live in a village near the Churnet valley steam railway. I was walking down the main street when I was overtaken by a steam engine on the back of a low loader followed by a carriage on another low loader. I learned later that this was quite a common occurrence.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave