"wireless" nail guns

I am looking for a nail gun for hobby use, ie. some light panneling, skirtings, mouldings, etc. I really don't want to use a compressor, hose, having to find a socket, etc. So basically I'd like a wireless nail gun.

From what I have found there are basically four manufacturer which makes interesting products:

Paslode - IM250 II and IM200-F16/18 - fuel + battery Senco - Airfree 25 - battery Porter-Cable BN200V12 - battery (drive a compressor) Spit Pulsa - 700E and 700P - fuel + battery

They range in price from $180 for the cheapest (PC) to $835 for the most expensive (SP).

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of guns? How do they compare to air guns ref. my needs? Are the nails more expensive or is it possible to use "standard" gun-nails?

-Frode

Reply to
Frode Tennebø

Airless is probably what you are looking for. Most "Wireless" still require electricity to charge the battery.

The Paslode brand has been around for quite a while and I have used an airless framing gun in that brand extensively. It has worked well for 4 years now. There are issues with keeping the battery charged and having a fuel cell handy. Senco invented the nail gun and is considered the Cadillac of nail guns. IIRC the one you mentioned in the list is not air free so to speak as you do not have to have a separate air source but it has a built in battery operated compressor. While Senco has a great reputation, this gun is relatively new and may or may not hold up as well as the air powered guns that it manufactures. Expect to pay top dollar for this brand. I have had a Senco finish nailer for 15 years and use it on the job. It has been into the repair shop 1 time for a $35 repair. Porter Cable is still too new on the scene for me to trust for the long haul. Split Pulsa? Never heard of it.

Reply to
Leon

Being too lazy to walk out to the truck and check model numbers.... I have the Paslode angled finish nailer (16 ga fasteners to 2-1/2"?). It's been getting light use on the job for a few months (+-4 fuel cyl so far). My only complaints are that 1) it performs best when kept warm and 2) the nailstrips are mighty fragile - changing strips back and forth often, for casing windows etc, results in trashed fasteners. My third complaint will eventually be operation costs, rught now I'm enjoying the convenience.

FWIW, I've got 7-8 pneumatic guns.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Hi Frode,

I have the Paslode IM250 and am very happy with its performance. However, there are two points I'd make:

Paslode nails are expensive here in UK. Although I have been able to buy cheaper compatible nails elsewhere, I have not found anyone, other than Paslode, who can supply the necessary gas cartridges.

If I had to do it again, I'd go for the IM250A. This has an angled magazine which makes it a little handier in getting into confined spaces.

Concur the other poster's remarks re fragile nail strips.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

I have the senco and I LOVE it. In fact I just loaned it to my neighbor who was doing a room full of trim and about half way through the job he went out and bought his own because he HAD to have one. I have put up 4-5 rooms of trim with it and used it on some furniture projects. The senco I have shoots 18 gauge brads, they make a 16 gauge model, but I havent heard anything about it.

I love mine and would highly recommend it.

Good luck!

Reply to
jam2