7-day digital timer plug - clarafication

I have what Maplin calls a 7-day digital timer plug and although I have the instructions I cannot get it to work as I want. (In one application I intend to control a Fax machine: only on in office hours and 5 work days per week).

In my timer there are 9 "week patterns" (e.g. Mon, Wed, Fri) plus 7 individual days, and 10 on/off possibilities. I have assumed that this means that I first set a pattern, then the on/ off times within this pattern. That is, patterns do not overlap. Is this correct ? A link on this group in 2003 about a Micromark timer plug suggests that the programmes do run concurrently

instructions that I have seem to "blur" these two settings: patterns then times. I just have buttons for Clock, Prog, Day, Hours, Min, Manual (cycle through On, Auto, Off) and Reset.

I need to know how to set a pattern and then be sure that the on/off times are applied to this pattern. Can anyone with a similar device advise me, please?

Reply to
Rob

On the 7 day electronic timers I have, from the normal clock display, you press

Prog (To select program 1 - ON) The use hour and min to set the time you want it to come on then press the day button to select either the single day, or the pattern of days then press prog again to select the off time for program 1

So in your situation, you would select program 1 to come on at 09:00 Monday -> Fri then the next program to turn it off at 17:30, again on Monday to Friday

Leave all the other programs blank.

Toby....

Reply to
Toby

Toby, Many thanks for your reply (sorry, clarafication s/b clarification)

If I've got it right, the sequence for the Fax would be: 1. PROG (displays 1 On), set hour:minute to 9:00; 2. Cycle through DAY until the Mon to Fri pattern appears; 3. PROG (displays 1 Off), set hour:minute to 17:30; 4. Cycle through DAY until the Mon to Fri pattern appears; 5. CLOCK to end programming mode. (Not the way I would design the thing, but . . . )

Is my impression right that once the device is in operation ALL programs are running? For example, suppose it is Monday, Prog 1 On (Mon to Fri) 09:00 Prog 1 Off (Mon to Fri) 17:30 would be turned off at 10:00 by Prog 2 Off (Mon, Tues, Wed) 10:00

Question: have you found a way of clearing a timer setting back to

--:-- ? Recessed RESET button clears the entire device, including the current time. Not sure what On=3D00:00, Off=3D00:00 does but anyway not so neat as

--:-- . Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Topaz

I would assume having a program 1 of on at 09:00 and off at 17:30 Mon -> Fri and a program 2 of just off at 10:00 on Mon -> Wed

Best thing would be to try it (You can always change the time and date on it to see what will happen, without having to wait!!

If you set any of them to come on or off at 00:00 this does mean midnight, so if you have a program set to come on and go off at 0:00 do check what actually happens at midnight (Especially if your device is programmed to be on at midnight already.

Toby...

So

Toby...;

Reply to
Toby

Just in case someone else has some questions about this "family" of digital timer, I have put some notes I made up on Flickr. These cover: - a solution to the reset problem mentioned here - a worked example of a realistic program

Link:

Topaz