6 volt radio

Electronics components don't really have defined use-by dates. (well, there are bake periods for stuff that is going to be reflowed if they've not been kept in an absolutely dry atmosphere)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Electrolytics seem to. You'll also find 'selection packs' with ancient non preferred values stuff - or all the odd ones never much used that didn't get sold. You can get some bargains but make sure you know exactly what you're bidding for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most electronics components then :)

Electrolytics - very old ones may dry out, and batteries discharge or degrade.

Very very old semiconductors may suffer from aluminium/gold corrosion, and CDS cells can be sensitive to some pollutants.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The most important use-by date was 1 July 2006, after which it was no longer legal for goods containing lead solder to be placed on the EU market. This has meant that manufacturers have had to dump any over-stocks of older components.

However, those components (along with tin/lead solder) can still be used for repairs or refurbishment of older items, and the regulations do not apply to DIY items that are not "placed on the market".

True, because they contain water and will dry out with prolonged storage. However, they will dry out much faster in use, because of the higher temperature. Since electrolytics are designed to give a reasonable operating lifetime at normal operating temperatures, any life shortening due to prior storage is not likely to be a problem... unless, of course, the components are truly ancient.

Reply to
Ian White

Which they sometimes are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm. Most of te sony gera I have - and its about ALL I have these days..seems prtyy good.

I am thinking that I should drag out my soldering iron and BUILD a decent portable radio tho.

Where can one get DAB chips ?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. YOU try getting an identical replacement for a 50+100uF 275v electrolytic as used in an AC/DC 1958 valve radio...;-)..and even if you did, would you want to use it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Sony FreeView tuner I have keeps on losing the EPG and has to be re-booted. It's a design thing - and it was one of the most expensive on the market. Cheaper contemporaries don't suffer the same problem. It's audio output is also low compared to the others I have.

My solution was to put a sound system in every room - it needn't be expensive. Ceiling speakers and a 'chip' amp. I have a 5 stereo circuit balanced distribution round the house using telephone cable with four tuners plus the main system output on it. Then all you need is an unbalancing device and a switch to feed each amp. Of course if your household regularly needs a choice of more than 4 stations it would be limited...

Never actually seen them on sale. Probably need to go to a manufacturer like Philips and get them as spares. At a price...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dabs.co.uk of course!

More seriously,

Ian Stirling

Hollow it out, and jam modern stuff in, is probably the most common solution, if you want it to work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

My Sony set-top box doesn't lose the EPG. I don't know if it's relevant, but I switch the power off every night (for the sake of safety).

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Actualy I tie wrapped modern stuff under the chassis.

Oh the nostalgia of an FM radio that does 88-101 MHZ only!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there anything outside that worth listening to anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the days of Wireless World, when it was worth reading, I'm sure you would have a tried and tested design and plentiful supplies of all the bits you wanted.

Oh! How the mighty have fallen!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Classic FM. That was the one I tried for.

Sometimes the local stations are useful..they were doing a blow by blow account of local power cuts and floods during a couple of emergency periods lats year..but you need a battery radio to hear those :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, a non mains one anyway [1]. Yes, the local stations are useful for things like school closures, local traffic problems, floods, power cuts etc. We get them often enough to make it worth it.

[1] I use a wind-up one!
Reply to
Bob Eager