480 supply?

I think it was simply the lack of sufficient sockets, and wanting to be near a light to do the job, so you might need one of these adaptors as well:

IIRC, my dad might have used one to connect the Christmas lights to a table lamp.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

My parent's house, built in the mid 1930s - just an ordinary suburban semi

- only included a light in each room in the purchase price. Sockets were extra. I believe they paid for two - one in each 'public' room. By the time I was around, there was one in each room - but none in the kitchen. I can remember one being added for a washing machine. No fridge - it was Aberdeen. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I still use one to connect the Xmas tree lights to a wall lamp.

Reply to
Capitol

Someone still using mains Xmas lights? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all for replies. I guess its a legacy issue due to location and, possibly, previous use as a farm cottage. The garage is a converted workshop from the farm so that may also have had some influence on how the supply was connected.

Reply to
Mark Allread