4/6 way sockets

I notice all of these seem to come with a 2m cable, and I need one with about 2.5m so I can lose it behind the TV.....is there any reason why I shouldn't adapt one with a longer cable? Or use a separate short extension?

Thanks

--

Ferger

You should be just fine replacing the flex supplied with a 2.5m or 3m length of Suitably Hefty flex: that'd be 1.25mmsq or 1.5mmsq. You might just find cable-less 4- and 6-way extension blocks for sale, but they're likely to cost more than ones with cable prefitted (because of the sales volume and the sales channels). Be sensible when wiring.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

I've always bought them without cable, and fitted my own. I generally use a fairly hefty cable to keep the earth path nice and low.

Reply to
Bob Eager

some come with longer. Shop arond.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From memory (liable to errors) for extension cords,

1.25mm² max length is 12m, 1.5mm² max length is 15m. The limitation is the earth fault loop impedance.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just be aware that some of the really cheap ones have the mains cable crimped to the conductors inside.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

If you don't fancy making your own, 3m and 5m ones are available - sometimes. Personally I usually keep a couple of spare 4-ways in along with flex and plugs.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Trouble is making your own costs about 3 times the shed price. Not that I'd draw heavy current off a shed one, but they're fine for light duty - computers etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I know, but I have the flex anyway, get the 4ways for £5 each at the electrical shop near work (but if RS have them cheaper I might mail order some next order) and I can have them with as little flex as I like (e.g. 2 with approx 200mm). It's not a huge amount really.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Yeah right; along with the unobtanium and the kevlar trotter helmets. RS "cheap"? I Think Not. Lessee: Duraplug trailing rubber skts, 8.73 ea in black, 9.49 white, 9.99 orange. Duraplug mouldeds, unswithted, 8.51/9.03 for black./white resp. JoJo: 8.59. JoJo slimline: 7.96. (Prices from previous cat: they've stopped sending the paper cats automagically, didn't even sned me a CeeDee cat automagically for the current period, can't be fagged phoning their Special Number to plead for a paper cat - even though I personally put plenty of buying their way, let alone HP UK as a whole!)

As normal from RS, you get a wide range, and you get great availability - over-the-counter from the trade counters for a good range of common stuff, and *genuine* next-day delivery/pickup for the rest. But you pay premium prices for that level of stockholding.

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Going off at a tangent a bit but I bought 20 UK plug --> IEC plug leads (mains plug to PC style kettle plug) from CPC today for the princely sum of

83p each, I can't buy the 2 plugs for anywhere near that price, never mind making them up for that price. My best source for 4/6 ways so far is when the sheds have a price war on them, it usually ends up at something like a 3 pack of 2m made up leads for a fiver. Bin the cable, replace with length to suit task and away you go.
Reply to
James Hart

Well, next day delivery to the local courier depot followed by a week of trying to prise the packet out of the courier. Omega Express? Omega delay, more like. "Oh, THAT parcel, sir. We don't seem to have attempted to deliver that one. No, we can't say why not." (That was after experimentally discovering that they stop answering their voicemail hellphone 3 hours before the closing time printed on their hi-sucker-we-found-you-out card (received for another parcel they needed help to deliver).)

Reply to
Graham Nye