3M Glass or Ceramic Protector - LIDL

Last week, or week before?, there were smallish plastic bottle of 3M Glass or Ceramic Protector at (IIRC) £3.99. Seemed quite a lot for not a lot - at least in terms of volume.

Has anyone tried it? Does it really make the surface easier to clean? Stop it holding on to dirt?

Or is it like so many similar-sounding products from years gone by, might have a slight effect for ten minutes before wearing off (either literally, or even that little effect stops working)?

Reply to
polygonum

Surely glass or a glazed finish is one of the easiest things to clean anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect it modifies the surface behaviour to be either hydrophilic or more likely extremely hydrophobic so that water runs away faster. I haven't tried it but I would guess it is a silicone oil of some sort.

True but there are some self cleaning glasses made now that have a catalytic surface that will use uv from sunlight to prevent grot building up on the outside. Pilkingtons have various patents on it:

Window cleaning large glass tower buildings is expensive and they look shabby with dirty windows.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Some glass is difficult to access to clean well.

Glass which has been allowed to remain dirty sometimes seems to be permanently damaged.

In hard water areas, scale can be a problem. E.g. shower screens.

Reply to
polygonum

Some of the old glass in our village hall is slightly hydroscopic and goes visibly hazy when it is damp and the sun catches it.

True enough although you can get cleaners with a mix of weak acid and EDTA that will remove it again fairly easily.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Quite. But I doubt a 3.99 bottle would be enough for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Buy two. :-)

Reply to