3D Printing, with Carbon Fibre!

It is, sort of: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-source-files#information They release designs and code but not CAD files.
Having previously had a RepRap that required endless fiddling, we realised was costing more in time than it saved in money. So we wanted something that worked out of the box. The files released mean we can repair it or fix bugs if we have to. Compared with most other equipment the software isn't terrible, so we haven't needed to go near it.

You can, but the little ATMega inside doesn't have a lot of RAM so the PC has to feed it gcode in real time. It's also a USB-serial thingy so not too quick. Octoprint supports it. It is possible to send gcode to save downloaded files to the SD to save pulling the card - I haven't tried that.

Yes. I imagine it's the same for any printer.

All this is done in the factory. You do have to level the bed when it comes out of the box, but there's a step-by-step guide on the LCD.

I haven't tried changing the nozzle; they were experimenting with a dual extruder Ultimaker 2 but it turned out not to be good enough, so they didn't go into production. Getting the spatial thing right so they didn't bump into the thing they just printed turned out to be trickier than expected.
Theo
On 29 Sep 2015 16:34:11 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos

Ok. Thanks for that.

Maybe then we were just lucky with the RAMPS / Marlin solution as since we first set it up we haven't touched it either. ;-)

Sure.

We often print directly to ours using USB and can't say we have had any real issues?

I've only played with that, not actually used it in earnest (yet). ;-)

You are supposed to be able to do that with Repetier Host but I haven't figured out how to yet? So that means if we are printing a long job, we generally stick the gcode on an SD card and print directly from the RAMPS.

Yes, we do that (with the paper / feeler gauge technique) and in so doing set the Z home position. Is yours automatic on the Z axis (after bed level calibration).

Mate bought the 'deluxe' kit that came with dual extruders and whilst both are mounted and wired up, we have not actually tried it with both as yet. *Personally* I just see it as a liability but have agreed with my mate that we will try it, if only the once. ;-)

It still amazes us to see it in action and how it deals with all that sort of thing. I bow to the folk who did all the programming, all the movement dynamics and path optimisation etc.
Cheers, T i m