382 pieces

Are they worth 6GBP?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave Plowman (News)

I bought a similar set from RS a few years ago for around £20, and they've come in very handy.

Have you ever considered getting help for your Aldi obsession?

Reply to
Grunff

Well why wouldn't they be, coming from Aldi? ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

55p I paid for two 1/2" o rings in a washing machine shop.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I've got a couple of smaller kits that cost me a quid each. There's not as many of each size, though I may have more sizes. Very handy to have for those odd occasions when only a new O-ring will do.

Reply to
Guy King

Cheaper bigger set here

Probably same spec.

HLAH

Actually it'll be 10.88GBP altogether with p&p :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

True, though I can always find stuff to buy to get it over the free delivery threshold at Toolstation :-)

HLAH

Following on from the post about a moderated forum, instead I was going to suggest a new gorup uk.d-i-y.aldi.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

the larger sizes, this has let me down a couple of times.

The use of the O-ring as shown in the picture was silly as this application should use a flat washer.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

BUT, unless you have a fetish for eating them, won't buying the odd one every other year at the corner shop do?

Reply to
EricP

Well if you buy O rings from a greengrocer, what do you expect?

Reply to
John Rumm

It's not so often you are wrong, but you are right again :-)

Another aspect of these low cost O rings, is the question of if it is fit for purpose? Under normal domestic use, an O ring from the op source may not be up to its final use.

Ed, how do the various materials used to make O rings, behave when in contact with gas? What are they made from? How do they react?

Can these O rings be used for hot water? Can they be used for cold water (less that 0 degrees C)? Are they frost safe? Can they be used on a petrol machine?

I ask this, because the material that they are made from may not suit every application. Also, depending on what material they are made from, determines what lubricant is suitable for them. e.g. Silicon rubber requires silicon lube.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Exactly. NASA got themselves into difficulties because of this. I'm not suggesting that Morton Thiokol shops at Walmart for O rings, but it's clear that the right ones are needed for the application

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's some that are very small...I think you'll find one suitable to keep your pecker up. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby