Aldi Air Compressor

Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under £60 and a range of air tools at bargain prices

The Medway Handyman

Its a Thursday morning offer, as in be there before opening Thursday morning of you want one. I was last year and its a great deal, throroughly reccomended.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Regulations 2000 if you buy one. That means regular inspections of the air receiver and I don't see a suitable inspection port - usually a very big hexagonal nut in the centre of the end cap. I note that the specifications do not state whether the 270 l/min is a continuous or an intermittent rating, so I would guess that it is probably not continuously rated. I would also be rather dubious of its suitability for spray painting, as I have paid more than that for the filters/separators needed to produce the clean, dry air that spray painting needs.

Personally, if I needed a portable source of air, I would look for a good second-hand Hydrovane 5, without air receiver. That is capable of providing

5 cu ft / min continuously, relatively quietly and, as it has no pressure vessel, without the need for pressure vessel insurance or inspections.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

5.5kw is not a portable device in handyman terms. There aren't many homes that have the required power outlets. They aren't cheap either.
Reply to
dennis

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Unless I'm not up to date, no, because its capacity is less than

250barlitres

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

The Hydrovane 5 (5cfm), rather than the HV05 (25-32 cfm), would run off a 13 amp socket. It also used to be available with a neat wheeled frame, although ISTR that was an optional extra.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I've never had a pressure system that small, so I missed that point.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Ooo! Wrong one then. 8-(

Reply to
dennis

The receiver has one, a drain plug at the bottom and and indented test tag welded to it

Its only a 25 litre receiver so continuous operation partly depends on the tool, it definately wont run a DA sander at all really.

Indeed just a service on a devilbiss gun is about twice cost of whole kit. Though if the alternative is aerosol the gravity feed gun is an improvement, its also slightly better than the siphon gun Machine Mart sell for about 15 quid on its own. Also get a humbrol style airbrush that wont turn you into Roger Dean but will help you do that stencil design.Tyre inflater , blow gun and long nose paraffin gun for 60 quid with a 3 year guarantee.Its a good deal within its limitations.

Air chisel, also on offer, is best tile remover I`ve found yet.

Hydrovanes seem rarer nowadays, everyone from garages to road crews seemed to use them for while now lot of them seem to have gone back to piston compressors. Guess can fix piston compressors with mole grips and hammer ;-)

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

OTOH Hydrovanes will run for ages without needing to be fixed and are quiet enough to be used inside the workshop. I have a couple of 15cfm Hydrovanes on air receivers that have run every working day for about 15 and 20 years respectively. One has had to have the compressor overhauled, but otherwise they have not needed anything more than checking the oil and draining the condensate.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

OK for spraying paint but cannot supply the flow for air tools. If you are wanting to use a windy drill, air chisel etc. then a unit with the size of reservoir pictured will be no good IMHO.

Reply to
roybennet

As a business. I'm not going to buy one. As an individual I simply posted to UK-DIY as a matter of interest - in case someone was looking for a compressor. Information that's all. Just trying to be helpful.

You really are the Urban Spaceman.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As was I. However, you seem to take any advice as some sort of personal insult

I assure you, I do exist.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

HP Air Compressor at under =A360 and a range of air tools at

Mebbe you have a smaller tank ;-), B&Q were doing one with a 6l receiver , yup a jumbo size bottle of coke with a pump on top for more money plus more cash for the accesory pack and those damnable self knotting curly hoses.

Aldi one is 25l will run all the tools its sold alongside,air chisel, stapler etc aint really big air users, windy gun is ,so frequent starting from pump, sanders are a no go hence they dont sell them. They have come around annualy for last few years so plenty of reviews in archives.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

As an aside, if like me you have a spray gun with a decent size nozzle (not the freebee DIY things that ship with the comps.) and a needle de-scaler etc, then you'll find that you spend too much time waiting for these little compressor to catch up.

I've overcome the problem by having two of these cheap compressors running together - just use a 'Y' piece to couple their outputs up. It's cheaper than one 3HP compressor and you don't run into problems blowing 13A fuses as is possible with 3HP units.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian