2nd kitchen circuit??

For how long? Remember rings are designed for transient loading. If you have a high long term load like say a water heater or space heating, you use a dedicated radial.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To minimise the chance of the circuit protection tripping and defrosting the freezer contents. I have a dedicated circuit running the freezer in the garage for just this reason.

Reply to
Chris Green

+1

Well, expect that two-thirds / one-third may show your age - but also your good memory :) It's now "no more than 20A in either limb". See under "Installation rules" in

Robin

Hmmm......

I am wavering between leaving it all on the ring.... Nah!

Putting in two radials (one on each aforementioned T&E, fed by RCBOs.

One for the Bumble, and one for the F/F.

Reply to
chrispvholmes

Having the freezer and fridge on its own radial and hence its own RCBO means higher integrity when other circuits open their MCB or RCD...... And no spoiled food to throw away!

Reply to
stephenten

Do MCBs etc in your house often trip when you're out?

In some ways you're less likely to notice this happen if you have a dedicated circuit for the freezer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MCBs rarely trip in my house, nor RCDs or RCBOs.

But, all kitchen sockets are currently on the same RCD (though a different MCB) to the 16A socket in the garden which has a 16 A extension cable plugged into it 24/7.

Reply to
chrispvholmes

They are in the ring. Perhaps it is list isn?t clear.

There are 3 radials, 2 ovens + 1 hob, and a ring. The ring also covers some other sockets in the dining room and, I think, one in the hall.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Dosh wishes, of course!

Reply to
Terry Casey

If you join the ends of those radials together you can make a 32A ring.

And save the cost of a second RCBO.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yeah, maybe a second very small ring is the way to go....

I used to be indecisive!

Reply to
chrispvholmes

TMH's daughter got three.

Oven, hob and fridge freezer.

Four if you count the boiler (not a kitchen appliance but it is in the kitchen).

All RCBOs in a 3 bed terraced house.

Reply to
ARW

Hmm... Then again, I?ve just remembered a lightly loaded existing circuit passes through the loft over the kitchen.....

Perhaps I?ll spur the bumble off that, and add a separate Socket for the F/F on RCBO using the spare 2.5T&E at a future date.

(Yes, I know it would probably never trip the ring MCB if it stayed where it was (unless we plug the cement mixer in at the same time), but I?d rather not have the circuit stretched. (Especially as I?m unsure of its precise topology, etc).

Reply to
chrispvholmes

You said freezer and not fridge freezer.

Reply to
ARW

That's a serious kitchen appliance.

Or a euphemism for your wife's cake making?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Make-up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do you need separate radials for oven and hob, rather than one suitably rated for both?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The OP didn't say fridge freezer either. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OTOH the person to whom you were replying did.

Reply to
Robin

Rather oddly for here, I quoted the bit I was replying too. And still have. So you can actually read it if you want to.

I leave it to others to quote the entire thread.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)