2025 analogue phone line switch off

Same problem I have trying to get DAB radio

Reply to
Andrew

What's DAB?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But but I thought if I voted labour I would have it instantly for free.

Reply to
bert

A sophisticated system for delaying radio broadcasts so if you try listening to Test Match Special commentary whilst watching cricket on TV you are about 3 deliveries behind the actual play. It also makes the time pips totally superfluous.

Reply to
bert

Have them sent to your landline.

Reply to
bert

I have found te reverse: test match special is about 3 balls ahead of te tV

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No I don't, particularly with the one carrier where you have to be very careful where you put the phone down.

And a mate of mine is sometimes in a very poor reception area as was again just a week ago. Certainly wasn't possible to be sure what he was saying, but no mangled donald duck noises, just words that were not recognisable, but sounded normal.

I certainly get dropouts and call just disconnecting at times but have never had any mangled donald duck noises

Yeah, some handle it a lot better than others.

I am a light aircraft pilot and never have any problem with the radio comms but I don't think I have ever had any passenger who wasn't also a pilot who has ever been able to make any sense of the communication.

Quite a bit of that is knowing what they will be saying.

Reply to
Ray

Ray used his keyboard to write :

I agree, the size of batteries in a big exchange used to be vast back in the GPO days. Entire basements filled with massive banks of batteries. 3 x 1 copper busbars run around the racks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:qrar0j$30u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

And usually with an on site generator that is used when the mains is not available for long enough.

Reply to
Ray

Ray was thinking very hard :

Yes!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Many years ago I worked with a light aircraft pilot who had visited the control tower at Southend.

An aircraft had left their airspace earlier without contacting them. During the visit he contacted the tower asking for permissoion to enter. The droll response was "Oh, we didn't know you'd left!"

The pilot then gave his altitude as flight level 5,000!

He was asaked if he was requesting permission to land or for re-entry!

Reply to
Terry Casey

That's handy. They could plant a windmill on the roof and use the genny to supply power to the grid when the wind doesn't blow (or blows too strongly)

Reply to
Andrew

It is happening. We are getting FTTP next week and that should see an end to our copper. Not sure if they actually remove it?

Some further info:

Openreach (BT) plan to launch a new symmetric ?low speed? 500Kbps (0.5Mbps) tier on their UK Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband ISP network, which might seem odd until you realise that it?s part of their transition away from the old phone services (WLR / PSTN). Elsewhere FTTP on Demand is being trialled in apartment blocks.

At present a lot of work is going on behind the scenes in order to prepare the market for two major changes. Firstly, the gradual migration of traditional voice services to all-IP technology (e.g. VoIP) by December 2025 ? essential on full fibre lines where electrical signals are no longer used ? and, secondly, the complete switch-off of the copper network in favour of ?full fibre? / FTTP (phased ? fully completing some years after 2025).

polygonum_on_google

They didn't remove ours. (though that was 5 years ago...)

The POTS port still doesn't take incoming calls. Must go VOIP.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Had VoIP here for what, 10 years now over VM broadband..

Also its now on the mobile as an extension line via Zoiper works very well indeed and what's best of all is there no fecking Bee Tee involved in that system:)

Reply to
tony sayer

Language of its own isn't it;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Same here, but relatively recent for VoIP *only*.

I pay my ITSP for a bare line, no number. A block of landline VoIP numbers for different purposes, and Zoiper on phone and tablet.

Reply to
Bob Eager