2" wide slit trench

If he is considering digging by hand, how about the sort of spade that people in Ireland used to use to dig out wet peat.

They have a long narrow blade the pulls the peat out in a long brick shape which they stack up with gaps to air-dry.

Reply to
Andrew

I will settle for one of these if someone can tell me where to get one.

Bazza

"The patented Terrasaw cuts a neat smooth-sided trench approximately

40mm wide and up to 700mm deep"

Only in the sense of specifying a maximum width - it would be more typically to spec the minimum width required. (lots of powered trenchers do 4 to 6" slots)

Reply to
John Rumm

Roger Mills laid this down on his screen :

They have just install/ed/ing fibre here. The used a remote control machine on tarmac, making a 3" wide trench. It had two cutting discs, going around 8" deep and appeared to clear out the spoil too, too leave it in a strip for backfill. It was the size of a narrow car.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Bazza has brought this to us :

In very soft, soggy ground, I managed to add some drainage with out actually making a trench in the garden. I just put the spade in as deep as it would go, then waggled it back and forth to form a V in the soil, into which I was able to pour sand, gravel and permeable pipe, before pushing the grass and soil back into place on top. It was just 10'x10' low lying area which tended to flood frequently in heavy rain. A few years ago now, but there has been no flooding since.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Bazza writes

I can pretty much guarantee that lawn is not in Hertfordshire. Here there be *diamonds*...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I already have one of these and use it on various diging jobs. It is about 5 inches wide but I want to cut a narrower trench.

Reply to
Bazza

well what else is an angle grinder for?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mole plough is a good answer especially in clay. It's going to require quite a lot of force, unless you have a collection of toys like Andrew's you will need a contractor, though.

You won't be able to make a trench 24 inches deep and 2 inches wide, and then line and fill it as you describe. The smallest mini digger bucket I have seen is about 5 or 6 inches.

Reply to
newshound

that Tonka looked about 2"

NT