How to do 100M of 40mm wide trench?

Now guys, (and gals), here is the latest challenge in my ground water collection project - see "Underground water tank" post.

I now need to figure out how to create several lengths of very narrow trench to take the geo-composite product (Turfdrain) that appears most suitable. The total length of trench is about 100 metres and the width is 40mm and depth is 200mm.

I would normally use a mechanical trenching machine but access to the area to be drained is via a 700mm wide door and so far I have been unable to find a hire shop that can provide a trencher with a transport width of 700mm or less.

So the challenge is to excavate 100M of slit trench to the depth/width mentioned above.

The soil is heavy clay.

Let the imagination run wild!

Reply to
JimG

Perforated land drain pipe & stick a patio on it? It's getting obsessional

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , JimK writes

The perforated land drain I use is 100mm. For which a narrow trenching spade would work in stone free clay. Backfill with pea gravel.

I think 200mm is too shallow. If it is successful in removing water the land will show *striping* in dry weather.

I am waiting for someone to estimate how many barrow loads of wet clay are going to come out of the *soft water well* hole:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In my experience of field drains a 40 mm wide slit trench will be next to useless. You need a decent width and depth of pea shingle round your drain as both a collector and as a filter to stop your perforated pipe being full of blocked perforations. 600 mm deep minimum and 200 mm wide minimum. I would hire the small size Kubota K007 excavator and dig it with it, (except I own one and don't need to hire it !!) That will fit through narrow doors when the tracks are retracted, then expand them when in the open.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Somewhere between "Aaagh, I'm in agony" and ""

Reply to
Adrian

1.5m x 1.5m x 2.85m ~ 6.5m3

Not sure the density of clay, say 10 tonnes?

Barrow load say 1cwt / 50kg, more if you're young and fit.

200 wheel-barrow loads?
Reply to
Fredxxx

Plus allow for 'bulking up' of disturbed ground could add another 1/3rd to 1/2 by volume

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Isn't that the internal volume? Surely more excavation will be required for hard-core base and working space around the walls.

Also this may be buried at some depth? The OP has not said if the surface will be patio or lawn. To drain successfully the collectors will need a fall so deeper than the proposed 200mm:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Call the cops and tell them fred west used to do the gardening for you,

they will be round to dig your garden up for free in no time :)

Reply to
Gazz

Comes out at 10.5 tons but some will go back around outside of tank plus some on top as it will be lawn at surface level.

If I have 2 doing digging and two running the barrows then should take 2 days??

If I go down the Old Kent Road, there's lots of migrants there outside B&Q looking for work cash in hand.

Reply to
JimG

what about one of those tracked irrigation installation machines, like:

I saw a small tracked one being used on a TV prog very small.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Now found a link to machine I saw ...

Rick Hughes

and an even smaller on ....

Rick Hughes

found a few more options for you ...

The last one looks so neat

and as this is diy ... how about this version

Rick Hughes