CH Pump Capacitors - again

Just missed the thread on this subject.

Two days ago my C/H died mid operation. Fuse blown - replaced - did not blow but pump didn't run. Checked rotation - spins freely.

Removed the pump and removed and tested the capacitor. Seemed OK on an ohm-meter (charging then discharging).

Applied mains to the pump which then ran fine - without the capacitor. Reconnected the latter which seemed to make no difference !

Changing the pump speed instantly blew the fuse. Distinct burning smell from the body.

Noticed that Maplins stock a good range of capacitors.

Final sting in the tail - the pump isolating valves (which make it easy to change the pump!) are now 'corrosion welded' to the pump.

Old pump was a WILO GOLD50 - four years old costing £45. Now obsolete their recommended replacment is £199. I think I'll buy the Toolstation DAB at £89.

GrahamC

Reply to
Graham C

When you've drained down, cut out the old pump, redone the pipe work, fited new valves (ball type not gate), use lightly greased rubber/neoprene washers not fibre ones and put some grease on the pump flange threads.

Flippin heck are bog standard circulators really that much these days? Or are thse some fancy self modulating things?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

my pump is a Grundfos and will be 25 years old next month!

Reply to
charles

25 years? Thats nothing!!

Mine is over 35 years. 7 new heads and 3 new bodies.

Ahh yes! The same pump for nearly 40 years.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

all self modulating now for energy efficiency. The extra upfront cost is pa id off over a 25yr pump life, but with no gain. Money's tied up pointlessly , but the greenies are happy. Silly really, since there are far more effect ive ways to save energy on CH.

Its a wallyocracy

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"All", really? How do they work? I don't think they have an external temp sensor or attach to the other pipe to maintain the required temp drop (is that adjustable?)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, if people aren't queueing up to buy your product, lean on government to make your product mandatory ...

Andy Burns