Subject Author Posted Replies

Advice about glue needed
I'm trying to stick a 50 x 100 mm strip of Velcro to a horizontal surface on the underside of the dashboard of my car to hold a small electrical gizmo. The surface is a hard plastic of some kind So...
13
13

Household water feeds.
I need to replace a washer in toilet cistern. I turned water off at the mains under the kitchen sink but altough this turned of the cold in the kitchen it didnt turn off the cold water in the toilet....
26
26

Source for MR16 holder AND SPRING
Looking to replacve MR16 bulb holder. The original came with a metal spring which holds the bulb in. All replacements I can see don't appear to have this. Is the bulb supposed to defy gravity by just...
3
3

nyy-j cable - direct burial?
I'm installing exterior lighting in the form of four, ground-level (buried), drive-over type units, within 300mm of the front wall of the building. All the exterior space (soon will be) shingle. No...
40
40

Converting a piezo gas igniter to 12v electronic ignition
Our caravan fridge has a piezo igniter that is a bit temperamental. Is it possible to just replace the sparking unit with a generic 12v electronic igniter (if such a thing exists)? Electrolux kits...
13
13

Electric cars still a bit shite
Renault are starting to really push their Zoe electric car. It's an amusing price, but massively subsidised by European governments (ie by you, me and every other taxpayer). Renault advertise it as...
366
366

TV tuners and projectors
I've been looking at what's available in the way of cheap DVB-S and -T tuners with HDMI outputs, and projectors to match. I was looking for something which would run without the use of a PC, if that's...
31
31

Motion sensor choice
I am considering purchase of 'Rokonet iWISE RK815DT Anti Cloak Anti Mask PIR Detector from E-Supply Ltd' ( or 'Bosch Blue Line ISC-PDL1-WA18H Professional Series TriTech+ Detectors With Anti-mask' (...
1
1

Conditioned behaviour
I had a few minor electrical jobs to do around the house - replace a light switch, a new light fitting in the kitchen and investigate why an eyeball fitting wasn't working. I know my house wiring and...
14
14

self adhesive vinyl tiles over ceramic tiles?
self adhesive vinyl tiles over ceramic tiles? not my preferred solution but ....... is it a goer? any gotchas? thinking abt uneven ceramics and grout lines "showing" through vinyl..? anything else?...
7
7

kitchen sink plumbing
Hi, I'm about the plumb my new kitchen sink but I also need to tee in two other pipes: one for the dishwasher and one for the outside tap. I would like isolating valves on each of these. The valves...
8
8

foot operated log splitters - any good?
foot operated log splitters - any good? Jim K
2
2

OT - another tablet question
As usual, OT but a good place for advice. We are considering buying a tablet some time this year. Cut off is end of November when we go on holiday. Research into current tablets indicates that 10" is...
22
22

I need a timer that tiggers automatically every nn minutes
...then resets itself until the next nn minutes have elapsed. Each time it triggers, it needs to beep for approximately 10 seconds. I've looked on Amazon. Can't see anything suitable. Ideas? MM
35
35

OTish - Toilet smell
We're getting a musty smell from the toilet and no amount of cleaning (bleach and toilet cleaner, and bleach blocks) will shift it. No signs of leaks, and I've replaced the seat and lid. It's been...
27
27