Subject Author Posted Replies

Why are light switches not earthed?
When using plastic switches and a dry lining back box there's no earth. How come? Ta.
33
33

Qs re MR16 & GU10 downlighters
Trying to understand modern downlighters(!) Typically these push into a c.80mm dia hole cut in the ceiling plasterboard . There seem to be 2 distinct styles: A. 12V based on MR16 bulbs usually wired...
3
3

Water pump question.
Hi. This is a question that pops into my head from time to time. If you were in a situation where you had to punp some water out of something and didn't have a pump, could say a router or power drill...
22
22

Fishtank air pump fuse question
Hi. I've bought a fishtank pump for our little tank and 2 g/fish. The plug for this pump is fitted with a 15 amp fuse. The cable wasn't long enough so I've added a few feet using an old table lamp...
6
6

How do I convert my second Router into an Access Point
Hi everyone, February 11, 2014 I would like to use my Sitecom router as an access point. Is this the way t o do it? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and I have a Ubee UVW-3200 cable Modem/Router . On...
5
5

The most dangerous item in your tool box?
The most dangerous item in your tool box? My son pointed out the alleged lethality of my tap and die set. I am afraid that this passes for humour in our family.
10
10

Wiring a Garage consumer unit.
Dad is concerned with all the wet weather, that if the garage gets damp, it's going to take the electrics out, which further up the line has a chest freezer on it. He picked up a garage unit from...
60
60

Which end is the setting end
I have a led security light with a pir sensor, and the knobs? which are used to adjust time , sensor and lux are a bit confusing as to which end is the setting end. The 3 knobs are all the same shape,...
3
3

gents wristwatch ?
Anyone recommend a reasonably priced one which is radio-controlled and solar powered ? Other gimmicks not necessary. Jim Hawkins
1
1

Blows occasional fuse
Heavy duty dust extractor. Single phase motor. Every now and then it blows a fuse on start up but when fuse is replaced it will start and stop ok for another few days. Is this likely to be just motor...
10
10

Interesting: Greenland glacier sets new speed record
Gives new meaning to the term 'glacial'. The Jakobshavn glacier in Greenland is retreating at a speed of 2 meters _per hour_ according to a study: speed-record/ FWIW: I'm not persuaded either way...
6
6

4 way junction box that's like a ceiling rose?
As header... ...in that instead of putting several wires into one terminal, there are several connectors per terminal each with it's own screw clamp. Cos i'd prefer that.
4
4

Under-floor insulation and cables
I've been collecting solid sheets of insulation to insulate the cellar ceiling under my kitchen floor, and have got enough to start fitting it. However, I have cables running between and through the...
5
5

How do you cut sheeps-wool loft insulation?
How do you cut sheeps-wool loft insulation? 100mm Thermafleece loft insulation to be precise. Large scissors are stopped dead. A Stanley Knife just scrapes small lumps from the surface. Even a...
10
10

Toshiba laptop USB ports both dead
Yet another computer problem! Wifey has a Toshiba Satellite C650 laptop with two USB ports, which both suddenly died earlier today. Much browsing and experimenting, with zero result. Things I've tried...
22
22