Subject Author Posted Replies

Tool bargains
Hurry! KMS Tools & Equipment | - Air Tools Autobody Hand Tools Air Compressors Construction Metalworking Tools Outdoor Tools & Equipment Power Tools Safety Equipment Shop Equipment Tool Boxes Welders...
7
7

Siemans Wireless Thermostat System - Fit for purpose?
A week or two ago my daughter asked me to have a look at her CH. The heating was very intermittent. She had a Siemens thermostat in the sit ting room with a wireless receiver in the airing cupboard...
6
6

best w/screws for t&g floorboard - follow up
just a followup to my post 28-11-14 asking about best screws for floorboards. I used floor-tite screws (as mentioned) and found them very good. No need for pilot holes and starting is wood will...
5
5

How to adjust manual micrometer
Any one know how I can adjust this, slightly out (red lines) Its an old one made by Ambrose Shardlow. There is a bit that turns with a rachet in it on the end but that doesnt seem to have any effect.
14
14

Wood screw with 'pierced' head available?
Hi all I would like to keep the key for an (internal) door close by the door. This is so it can be opened from one side, but not (easily) from the other. I cannot make serious alterations to the door...
3
3

Rainwater in domestic oil tank
A fried of mine left the cap off a 2" inspection hole (screw-on type) on her domestic oil tank for the past couple of weeks. I can't imagine much rain has got in but what's the best way to go about...
13
13

unlocking USB memory
I have a memory stick that I picked up free at a conference. It's only got the presentation on it, which I don't want, so I'd like to use the stick for routine purposes. However I can't write to it,...
16
16

Fitting Christmas tree to stand
A few years ago, we bough a Christmas tree with stand attached, a plastic j ob with a socket in the centre. The base of the trunk was cut to shape to f it this socket snugly, forming a clean cylinder....
11
11

solar pv to storage heater
Id like to find out if its possible to buy a few solar pv panels, and take the feed from that direct to a storage heater or underfloor heating pad. Not plug into the grid, or even the house electrical...
35
35

Making Copper Sulphate Crystals
These used to be available at garden suppliers, but no longer. My school chemistry knowledge is a bit faded, but somewhere I recollect a method involving a car battery trickle charger, a glass 'bath',...
26
26

MR16 LED COB bulbs
I bought a set of 4 off 12v MR16 COB bulbs - in the end they cost me nothin g as I ordered warm bulbs and was sent cold ones so got a refund. After 6 months one failed and a couple of months later a...
4
4

Formatted kindle by mistake
Ok, I have done a right silly thing in mistakenly formatted my kindle was I charging up on my pc. I also had a USB drive which I was meant to format, but somehow the dropdown selection of the program...
12
12

freezing forecast.
what about this then, my condensate outlet pipe runs down outside wall from upstairs room, in freezing conditions these pipes are prone to freezing and blocking. What is the possibility of fitting a...
29
29

O T Electric overblankets.
We bought a couple of US overblankets and found that they were useless due to not being hot enough. It turns out that the wattage has been reduced in recent years to avoid overheating. Does anyone...
29
29

Decent discount
Presumably anyone who's a previous Ironmongery Direct customer has had the email, but for anyone else, the code "DECSAVE" will get you 30% discount on orders over £75+VAT, just a satisfied customer...