13A sockets useless for charging electric cars?

Well 4 hours at 10 A at 230 V is 9.2 kWhr.

A gallon of diesel contains over 10 kWhr...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Remember that "warm" is in itself not a problem. We routinely spec cables such that at full load they will be running conductor temperatures of 70 deg C. They should be able to do that indefinitely.

Reply to
John Rumm

He wouldn't be able to tell you ... because he has a Latvian driver who he allows to stay in the boot of the RR and he just drives harry to the bank and back once a week to draw out the FIT profit we 'give' him to charge he EV to get to the bank and back every week ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Stop messing about, 125 A three phase or about 90 kW. Sort of power required to charge an electric vehicle in the time it takes to fill a fuel tank. Slight snag is domestic supplies are, at best, 100 A single phase, a mere 23 (ish) kW.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It does, however I was under the impression it was a banned substance like Cadmium and other toxic metals?

Reply to
Fredxx

Some commercial trolley-mounted grills (the sort of thing used at events) have two mains leads. You plug them both in to share the load. They are isolated from each other by the way.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

at 80% efficiency

at 20% efficiency.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote on 04/06/2019 :

Most supply cables to houses are shared with lots of other houses and sized for an average loading. If lot of those house occupiers buy an electric vehicle, they will likely all want to charge them overnight. The average load will be increased several fold. Loading on the sub-station will be increased severalfold.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It is not hybrid. According to the makers, 86 miles. But they lie.

70 miles is nearer the mark. Ample for me. Battery is 16Kwh.

harry

That is what you get out of it with ICE There is actually nearly 50Kwh in a gallon of diesel

An electric car is around four time as efficient.

Reply to
harry

I am retired. Get the RR out for longer distances :-)

Reply to
harry

In Summer, I charge the car from PV panels which costs nothing. Bad weather in Winter,economy seven.

Reply to
harry

No, it's a *litre* of diesel that contains 10kWh of energy.

A gallon will be 45kWh or so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This is the whole infrastructure debate.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What if it is.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I know I've only got a 60A single phase incoming supply. Which is why I didn't bother to mention the bigger stuff.

Reply to
charles

Who do you think banned beryllium and from what uses?

Beryllium is dangerous but AFAIK even the EU has not banned the production and use of copper beryllium alloys.

Reply to
Robin

Are you limited by the actual supply or your own system?

I rewired the house when I moved in. It too had a 60A main fuse. The next time the meter reader called, he spotted the new consumer unit, said that he'd get the main fuse upgraded and a few weeks later they turned up (unannounced), smashed off the old cast-iron housing and replaced it with a thermoset-plastic one complete with 100A fuse.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I have a chrome one, with black plastic inserts, I unplugged a heater and now that socket is unusable, presumably due to deformed plastic within.

That's hotter than I am comfortable with.

(summat like this)

R D S

Probably not a good thing to dissolve beryllium in nitric acid and then drink the resulting nitrate. OTOH, I don't make a habit of sucking copper connector springs containing 2% beryllium so I don't expect any problems.

Reply to
Tim Streater