13A sockets useless for charging electric cars?

Okay, I withdraw the attempt at humour.

Reply to
Scott

So in reality a no then .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Correct, that's because there are lots of filling stations, and they can provide a full "charge" in a few mins. It takes no planning to make a long trip in a petrol or diesel car.

Not a situation that EV drivers can as yet enjoy, hence my thought experiment to level the playing field a bit.

Reply to
John Rumm

But EV drivers can add a full charge to their vehicle without having to leave the house or garage and do so while sleeping. Something petrol or diesel car owners can't do, but they do get to sniff their fuel.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, at

05:11:46 >> >> >> >> >>

Nor can EV drivers who don't have a garage, or other off-street parking adjacent to their homes. Flat/maisonette dwellers are particularly likely to suffer from the non-adjacency, as are those on estates where the shared off-street parking is some distance from the house.

Reply to
Roland Perry

And stopping at a garage while you are passing (or, as I am going to do later, filling up at the supermarket while I am there to shop) is probably as quick for a once a week fill as plugging in the car a few times - and you'll have to do thatevery night if there is any chance of you ever suddenly getting a call which needs you to travel some distance. With petrol of diesel you can stick to once a week, once a fortnight, whatever suits you, but knowing that you can set off immediately on a journey of many hundreds of miles if you need to.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Some can but not all. Firstly you are assuming the EV owner has ready access to charging facilities where they park. Probably true while EVs are playthings for the wealthy virtue signallers, but not going to be the case when they are more mainstream. Also note that EVs with more useful battery capacities may well have difficulty reaching full charge overnight at domestic charging rates.

Reply to
John Rumm

Neighbour got an E Golf in January and a home charging point by his off-road parking area where he can easily manage to park 4 cars. His daily commute is about 45 mile round trip and most days an additional evening activity such as 7 aside football adds about another 20 well within capacity of the vehicle,trouble is he is not most disciplined person and frequently forgets to plug the car in. That has meant a near thing on doing a second day and one occasion he had to work from home after forgetting two nights in a row. Fortunately he runs his own business * and not going to the office is a decision he can make,an employed person would have to an understanding employer if it happened often. While his inability to discipline himself is his own problem I reckon there will be some domestic arguments in the future when spouses argue with each other and older children about who and when should have connected up. Not unusual to have a four car household nowadays with older offspring still living at home and that means a charger will be in use constantly and it will be a disciplined household to manage without someone making mistakes occasionally.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Around my way most cars are parked on the road rather than in a householders driveway so the current practically of charging overnight is somewhat limited.

Reply to
alan_m

Must be a sign of the times. My car doesn't work, so I'll have to stay off work. Madness.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well, he actually worked from home which has he has done for the best part of 10 years so he wasn?t skiving.

The office came with a recent purchase of a business accompanied by a couple of employees so for the time being while he gets to know them he likes to be there but they can get by with him teleworking. So he wasn?t skiving . Unfortunately there is no practical way to install a charger at the office and ATM the small town has a dearth of public chargers though it does a have a hill famous in a Hovis advert that pretends to be up North as the real North wasn?t good enough.

My concern is that he and his wife may move closer to the new venture, when neighbours move you never know who may replace them and if they will be as easy to get on with as the existing.

GH

Reply to
Marland

That depends where you live. Niether local garages (2.5 miles) are open 24/7. Next nearest petrol stations are over 20 miles away and aren't 24/7 either. Carlisle at over 30 miles has a Tesco (M6 J43) that might be 24/7. There is a Asda which, I think, will be 24/7.

On the basis that I could receive a call at anytime to be 100+ miles away "as soon as possible" I always plan to have over 100 miles of range left when I arrive home.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 23:08:26 on Sun, 16 Jun 2019, Marland snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

I can't even train mine to put the bins out on well known days.

Reply to
Roland Perry

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

3Phase leads at an external installation? What could go wrong?
Reply to
DerbyBorn