Subject Author Posted Replies

Shower head - why, why, why? :-)
Clean the bath using the shower head. Give the shower head a good shaking to dispell the water in it. Reach up to put shower head onto its hook, and water runs out down one's arm. Why?
7
7

Insulation "Sausage" does it exist?
My workshop is a converted barn with corrugated fibre cement sheeting roof. It's been sprayed with expanding foam and when they did it they assured me that they'd sealed the apex where there is a 'top...
19
19

Sticking a facing brick
I noticed that a top (trimmed) brick at the top of a single storey extension is loose. I am guessing it got disturbed when the roof dry verge was being fitted. As the mortar is dyed and seems firm, I...

varying speed of a duct fan ?
How would I go about varying the speed of an in-line duct fan? I want to use one in my kitchen extractor setup but a) it will be remotely mounted b) it comes as a twin speed model I'd want to vary...
21
21

Best depth within the opening for a UPVC window?
Hi friends, I am replacing UPVC windows in my house. The walls are solid stone, and fairly thick. The existing windows are set back about 7" inside the opening (viewed from outside the house, that...
2
2

Cop car evolution
I was chatting to someone some months ago who had been to one of those old vehicle shows one gets around this time of year. He reminded me of days gone by, as one of the cars there was a Riley...
29
29

OT Aircraft pix
Every militry aircraft you heard of and then some.
11
11

Soil stack query
All the major bits have now arrived for the bathroom refurb, so starting to think about the plan of attack for the vent/soil stack ... This house only has one bathroom/loo, so need to keep the...
17
17

OT - Half a bus ?
Shows a 1960 photograph of the top half of a bus, hitched up under a bridge. WTF was that about? The latest news, sport and what's on and business from Swansea
9
9

Conversion above a garage to create a storage area......
I have a single semi-detached garage of 5m by 2.5m. The 5m party wall is a double skin breeze block wall. The rear 2.5m exterior wall is a double skin wall too with the back door. The front is 2.5m...

Ingenious
En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió: :) "It probably wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the billboard company cares a little bit more about security now. Get it? Stretch?" Made oi smile.
29
29

Concrete spall repair
I have about 150m of fencing ... created by using concrete H posts .. on a couple of them the concrete has spalled off ... about 3" or so about 3/4 wide exposing the reinforcing bar below. I need to...
3
3

OT remote controlled socket
Can anyone recommend a good remote radio controlled 13A socket (sub £20) ? Most of the reviews of available products are poor and talk about spuriou s tripping, inadequate power handling, etc. The...
10
10

SOT - something I've noticed
Almost all of the houses built on Grand Designs, Building the Dream etc, very rarely have a doorbell or other entry system. Seems bonkers to me that the only way of knowing there's a visitor to a,...
6
6

why do hacksaws cut on the pull? (2023 Update)
AIUI the convention with a hacksaw is to put the blade in so it cuts as you pull the saw upwards. This is the opposite to, say, a tenon saw where the cut is done on the down stroke. I've often...
52
52