Subject Author Posted Replies

replace water main
As we are having a water meter installed I am hoping the affinity water contractor will sort out a connection to our over 50 year old galvanised pipe. The first one that arrived gave up but we did...
10
10

Instant Water Heaters
Hello d-i-y world. Recently I've been contemplating getting rid of an old hot water heater/tank combination, and I wonder if I could replace it with an instantaneous heater. This is for a flat with a...
23
23

Can I use the shower switch to feed the switched live on the bathroom fan?
The "standard" circuit for a bathroom fan seems to be to operate it from the light switch which means it's generally only going to be activated at night. That seems odd to me. So instead can I take...
8
8

Storing wood outside in the rain
Gentlemen, My neighbours and I are in the process of replacing the fence that runs between their property and mine. The replacement wood - a *considerable* quantity - was dropped off by the timber...
7
7

Mini chainsaw
Recently bought one of these (link goes to There's no mention of it in the "user manual" but I'm assuming the chain will need to be oiled in some way. Any suggestions for suitable oil and where to get...
9
9

Speedfit for Gas
I wouldn't normally repost from Twitter but thought some people would like this one. 's Speedfit plastic pipe and fittings used for mains gas. Owain Depher cic uk - James 🫂 Anderson on Twitter:...
26
26

OTish Weird network behaviour
Hi All, I got a few second hand routers and set them up around the house to extend the WiFi coverage. I have a central network "server" which runs the DHCP server, firewall etc etc. so on these...
8
8

Only Electricity no Gas
I can't get my usage down below 3kWh day and 3kWh night, with new rates costing £3.21 per day. This is with the help of two solar panels.
40
40

Fun with DPD, and others
I live at ABCD House, ABCD Lane, in village PQRS, XY11 1DL. I am expecting a parcel sometime, but it is not yet en route. I was preparing to leave the house this morning, for a weekend away. I opened...
18
18

OT: Gas Cylinder Storage Capacity vs. Pressure
Gentlemen, I keep cylinders of various gases here (the big, full-size ones). They each have pressure regulators attached appropriate for the composition of the gases therein. The question is, does the...
48
48

Ring door bell
Has anyone3 got one of these,.wired or wireless I'm just thinking of getting one , but want to know which one is better. Some people say wired but others say wireless. What are the limitations of...
13
13

CFLs and LEDs
I replaced some 20W CFLs with some 15W LEDs and the latter are much brighter and give a better colour light. Bill
44
44

Terminating stranded flex
I am terminating some 3 core flex onto an mcb and busbar For a short final length connection. BS 7671 allows for using flexible cables, it does stipulate that: A flexible cable shall be used for fixed...
7
7

Re: Jeezus H Christ ....
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 08:33:14 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote: Fuck me! Clearly a Yaesu nut.
12
12

Chimney advice
Hi, I recently fitted cowls to adjacent chimney pots, which are for the living room and bedroom directly above it. The bedroom has an open fireplace, which is not in use, so I used a cowl that taps...