Ring door bell

Has anyone3 got one of these,.wired or wireless I'm just thinking of getting one , but want to know which one is better. Some people say wired but others say wireless.

What are the limitations of either, like how long is the wire which I assume you plug onto the mains somewhere.

Reply to
Rob H

We have a Ring doorbell 2 which is essentially battery powered but you can connect a PSU to it which essentially trickle charges the battery. The PSU I have is an 18v plug in third party product, I cannot recall the wattage but could find out if you wanted to know. You also require a large high watt load resistor which Ring sell but is not often in stock, again available from third party sellers.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I have one of these

The push-button part needs no batteries - it's some sort of piezo-electric effect I think. The ringer inside plugs into a mains socket but has a plug-through socket so you can still plug other appliances into it and the original socket isn't blocked. Several volume levels and lots of ring-tones. I'm very happy with it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We originally had a cheap Byron wireless doorbell with a single battery-powered chime. The chime ate AA batteries within 3 months.

We replaced it with a two-receiver Friedland/Honeywell. The primary receiver is plugged into the mains in the hall; the secondary is battery-powered and lives in the conservatory. The AA batteries last at least two years.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Not the Ring?

Andy Burns

Well from what I can see the unit is rechargeable and uses wifi, now depending what modes you turn on the unit might be better mains powered all the time. I was thinking about these too since couriers never ring my door bell and no mater what the instructions you put on the web sit it just gets dumped next to the front door so he can take a snap. Ring and others have alan alert that can be sent if it detects activity at or near the door, so that is good since those reluctant to actually press the intercom bell button get spotted. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It depends on what you have already, and do you intend to retain the existing chime or retain.

Reply to
David Wade

Can I suggest you look at the Eufy version.

Similar functions but no need for a subscription etc. We have the wired one but only as I could run the wires easily. I’m about to install one for my eldest but she doesn’t want holes drilling etc so it will be battery.

They integrate with things like Alexa and the Eufy cameras (like Ring cameras) which are also no subscription and you can view etc from your phone ‘anywhere’.

The only, minor, niggle I had was I wanted to use our existing chine - which we especially liked. I could probably make it work but it will need some trickery as the chime is an old one.

Reply to
Brian

Probably but not sure yet what is included in the package

Reply to
Rob H

Yes, I looked at some reviews of the different door bells and the Eufy came out tops.

Reply to
Rob H

The Ring doorbell does not come with a chime, that has to be bought as a separate item. However, if you have any Echo devices you can get all or as many as you want to chime or warn you of motion in the camera view. If you have an Echo Show you can even see and communicate with the person at the door, I am not sure if you can speak to the person at the door on the bog standard Echo devices but I suspect you can. We tend to use one of our two Echo Shows.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Do you need an amazon subscription though if you want to save video anywwhere ?

Reply to
Andrew

Since there seems to be a lot of recent interest in video doorbells, here's a recent review of a bunch of them ...

Andy Burns

Wow! I have to confess to not understanding more than one word in three spoken. A chart with explanations would have done the job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb