13 amp plugs - memories

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris J Dixon saying something like:

Holy shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I recall the 3 prong as well - also the bulbs were etched "Stolen from xxxxxxxxx" (xxxx being the name of a major british company)

John

Reply to
john

Surely you've seen them ! 1960s(?) VHF coax connectors which I'm sure the BBC must have used somewhere or other. They have a "tulip" shaped connector with four leaves, two of which go inside and two outside. If they won't mate, turn them by 90° and try again. The centre "pin" is actually tubular, a miniature version of the shield.

Probably got the SWR of a hacksawed waterpipe, but they were workable hermaphrodite plugs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The 3 prong ones don't have to be at 120°, nor do they all have to be at the same depth.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's been done. Never seen an original IBM Token Ring cable? Here, about half way down (search for 'hermaphrodite' on te page):

Bob Eager

Bob Eager

That sounds like a description of a GR-874 (where GR == the General Radio Company). Except you'd have to rotate by 180 deg., not 90. There are later hermaphroditic coax connectors, GR-900 and APC-7, to name but two. Pictures of all these at

Probably got the SWR of a hacksawed waterpipe, but they were workable

No, the GR-874 provided an accurate 50 ohm match up to microwave frequencies. They're spec'd up to about 8 GHz, IIRC.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I remember those, but not their name. There were also plugs used on german (Rhode and swartzch) equipment. that had a flat spring loaded contact on the inner pin, and the outer had a bayonet retaining ring, which could be pulled back allowing the one on the other part to lock.

Reply to
<me9

in 75ohm. similarly with bnc/tnc, and probably others.

That's the one I remember on of all things, a GR oscillator, a useful (but unstable) vhf/uhf signal generator.

Reply to
<me9

Now _that_ was a horse designed by a committee, if ever there was.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's the one ! You really can find pictures of _anything_ on t' intaweb!

90°, I'm sure. They'd mate happily at two 180° spacings, so you're always within 90° of a hookup

I never really knew their SWR - I just used to use them as single conductor patch leads, usually almost DC, but with scary voltages on them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah, I see what you mean now. Yes 90 deg.

Reply to
Andy Wade

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

IBM did this with Token Ring connectors. Doubt they made a fortune out of it though.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I think I said that on Wednesday...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Bob Eager writes

You did, apologies. I was following the thread and replying as necessary. Should have read it all first.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson