110mm push fit soil pipe fixings - two fitting methods?

It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings.
Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal inside a collar.
First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe was not successful. I then levered off the brown plastic ring with the rubber seal, slid this down the grey pipe, fitted the grey pipe into the joint and it looked as though the sealing ring would knock back down to grip the grey pipe.
I thought I had better check, and all I can find online so far is the method of chamfering the end of the grey pipe, lubricating it with silicone, and forcing it in.
Is my (possibly logical) way O.K. or should I reach for the lubricant?
Cheers
Dave R

Use lubricant
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 06/08/2018 18:01, David wrote:

A chamfer and some lube is your friend... there should be no need to pull apart the seal.
--
Cheers,

John.

Fairy liquid works here:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On 06/08/2018 19:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

if your name is Bodgit&Scarper
On 06/08/2018 18:28, John Rumm wrote:

+1; although I have to admit doing it by disassembly once, where access was a bit awkward. Needed to use a hammer on the end of a piece of batten to fit the ring back on. And although I have used plenty of fairy liquid in the past, my impression is that proper silicone oil (liquid or spray) is slightly better.
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 21:13:32 +0100, newshound wrote:

One advantage of WU liquid is that it dries out. Silicone oil/grease stays slippery permanently - this is OK if you might want to disassemble it, but does need axial limits otherwise the union might slide apart (unlikely in most circumstances). One example is foam padding on handlebars. Now it's not A Good Thing for the foam+tape to slide off and some people have had that happen. Using a water-based lube avoids this, if given time to dry out.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away