Has anybody sucessfully opened and repaired a Sunterra 1250 pond pump?

When it cuts out, does it continue to hum? Or gurgle or make any sounds whatsoever for that matter? Is the filter clogged?

On the 201250 pump you should be able to remove the impeller guard (aka inlet cover). Open the nose, remove the filter, there will be four screws on the face of the inlet cover, remove those. Remove the cover, see if the impeller is intact - it's known to break blades lose - and there's no debris wedged between the cover and the impeller. See if it starts with the guard off, just be careful and not run it for long.  Listen for any funny sounds.

If it won't start with the inlet cover off, I would leave it submerged in a bucket for a day and then come back and see if there's any oil on the surface of the water. If there is, it's leaking, need to send it back. If there isn't, most likely still need to send it back. Because of the water tight seals it was not designed to be serviceable on site.

Reply to
homeowners

I have a submersible Sunterra 201250 pond pump (bullet nose), it has become a little noisy and is now cutting out continuously. It is not hot to the touch. If I spin the shaft it will start turning but then cuts out. I am wondering if it has taken in water and results in high current cut-out.

I would like to open it for inspection and repair. There are 4 screws that are removable but that does not help in disassembly. I expect it is oil filled. Any help with disassenbly and trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
t1man2

When plugged in it hims for a couple of seconds then the cut-out contacts can be heard operating and the humming stops. The cycle then repeats.  I have it stipped down with impeller off and no filters on.

It is off warranty so it is not worth returning to manufacturer.  Shipping and repairs would be more than cost of new unit.

I just want to get inside of it without destoying the pump.  I have tried several methods of removing the metal ring that supports the impeller shaft but I cannot get the slightest movement of the metal ring.

Reply to
Anonymous