Well, 2 Tanks and 2 Houses, how to connect it all together?

I've come up with a quick drawing of one of the I'm sure many ways to connect up our well to our two poly storage tanks and our 2 houses.

everything in the drawing would be in the Pump house.

The well Will Typically feed the 2 Tanks, I have sensors and automatic valves to handle the filling of the 2 Tanks.

In the Event of a Issue with Either of the Tanks, I have the well connected to the house feeds with a NC valve.

The main Irrigation line would be coming into the Pump House to feed the 2 Sprinklers. Its feed from elsewhere, though I wanted to be able to feed it from this system if there was an issue with its Supply.

Seems like you typically filter the water as it goes to the house. I originally had the filter as the last thing before it went to the 2 hours, though typically most filtration systems are not much larger then 1". The required pipe ( they didn't tell me the flow) for one of the houses is 1

1/2" pipe. This house is new and has a Fire Sprinkler system in it. So to get the Flow and the right pipe size I thought to just filter the water that goes into the main Storage tanks. then I can suck the filtered water out via the 1 1/2" pipe and distribute it to the houses.

So does this look like a good system? Should I make any changes?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Lawrence

Thanks!!! Just was not sure about the Filtering of the water to the storage tank vs filtering directly. There is always a possibility for the water in the tank to get stuff in it. There is a Screen at the top to let air in and our during filling/draining and its not the finest material.

Thanks aga>> I've come up with a quick drawing of one of the I'm sure many ways to

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Well, I don't know much but since the debris will not interfere with the operation of the storage tank then you may as well put the filter after. This also eliminates the possibility of anything flaking off inside the tank and getting in.

There could be dirt or dust of any kind in there and it may not be possible to get it totally clean during install. My posts have been a bit crappy lately so hopefully that is helpful.

Reply to
Lawrence

It looks good but the more complex anything is the larger the chance of failure......

Reply to
hallerb

There are so many flaws here I don't know where to begin. So let's start here....

  1. Why in god's name do you show a 2500 gallon and a 5000 gallon tank? A typical home on a well system will have a 50-200 gallon tank.
  2. Why are the storage tanks at the end of the system instead of the beginning? This is completely backwards.

If you want advice I suggest you take a different angle, and I mean this with all due respect. Start by telling us what the GPM or load demands are for each house. In simple terms...how many bathrooms for each house? Also since you are apparently trying to irrigate with a well, not generally recommended, how many acres or square feet are there to sprinkle? Also for clarity and the drawing's sake, drop the '1490' and '1492' stuff. Without explanation we assume these are addresses. Why not just simply say 'house #1' and 'house #2' ?

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

The drawing is just plumbing that will be on the wall (maybe 7'x6') of a pump shed.

The thin lines are 1 1/4" and the thicker lines are 1 1/2". In the Field there is mostly 1 1/4 and 3/4. To both of the houses there is 1 1/2"

I wanted redundancy as pumps fail and I wanted to be able to either use the Well Pump, the booster pump, or the Irrigation pump.

Let me know if you have any other Q's.

Thanks for the input, Scott On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:31:47 -0600, Scott Townsend wrote

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Hey Bob, Thanks for the Input. I'll try to add some more details.

We are required to have a 2500 gallon static tank for Fire Safe Standards for a Hydrant Hookup, then another 300 for the Fire Sprinklers in the house. We also have flakey Power and a Poor well. The well can irrigate Sprinklers for 20 minutes and run the well dry, Stop for 5 minutes and it will run for another 20 minutes. So we want to store the water and fill the tanks during the evening when the consumption of water around us is lower. I have automated control over the filling and they would only fill in Alternating

10 minute fill, 10 minute wait intervals during the specified fill window. The 5000 gives us 2500 for domestic usage and 2500 for the fire safe standards requirements.

The 2500 for the irrigation is to separate out the Domestic from the Irrigation. We have 2.5 acres and are not 100% sure what will be on the back

2 acres of the property. All outside faucets and sprinklers are connected to the 2500 tank. Its in this picture as I'd like to use it as a reserve if there is an issue with the 5000 tank. Also the Front and back lawn sprinklers are fed from this location. This was done from the previous owner. The 2500 tank has its own Booster pump and pressure tanks. With a well as our only option (as it is also for all the vineyards around us) I don't see any other way to irrigate then to store the water and irrigate from the storage?

Yes the 1490 and 1492 are the house numbers. For us it was easier to read the numbers as we'd fight over who is house #1 and who is #2 (-; You didn't like the house Pictures? hehehe

I have not been in contact with the Fire sprinkler guy is a while and it does not say in the Spec's I have what GPM they need, though the point they left off for us to hook up the domestic supply was 1 1/2" and said we need a booster pump from the Storage tank that would accommodate the 1 1/2" line. I believe it was a 1hp pump requirement.

Each house has 2 Baths, kitchen and Laundry facilities.

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Not sure. Its about 60-70' Deep and was drilled about 30 years ago. Metal casing, 1 HP pump.

The only 'real' solution would be to Drill a second well beside the first. Since the casing on the well is metal and cemented in you could only go deeper at a smaller diameter, which wont really get you the back for you puck when digging deeper. I think its a 8" well now and the could boar out a

5" then you are dealing with a funny pump to fit in the 5" to get enough water around it.

I think it was fine when it was drilled, though with more neighbors and more agriculture the aquifer gets depleted faster and is probably lower over all. A new well around here is $20,000 and that is for about 150' We had one Drilled about 5 years ago and it was 141' and was almost $17K. So for now I'll settle for a $1500 tank and some smarts on when and how long to fill.

The computer that I have controlling it can make it so it only fills at night and so that it wont fill for longer then X minutes and can wait Y minutes between filling either tank again.

Thanks for your input, its appreciated!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

with added growth in the area the aquiferes water level is likely dropping, which you see as fast depletion.

So figure your tank system as TEMPORARY, once the average water level drops below the bottom of your well your in trouble........

need a new well anyway:(

so how do you irrigate? move to drip irrigation if you havent already and conserving shower heads.

20 grand for a WELL:(

Google deep rock manufacturing / hydrardill and drill your own for a fraction of 20 grand, then sell the machine off used and get back most of the bucks:)

Reply to
hallerb

Hi Scott, Do you have updated links to your drawings? I have the same issue here where I'm living. My wife and I put a double wide mobile home on my daughter and son-in-law's property. He wants me to separate his water supply from mine. There is only one well. I'm not sure how to properly go about doing this as well as setup the pumping system from our 2500gal holding tank to the house. Can you tell me what you did?

Reply to
ScottS.