2 tanks of propane, how long to last?

Friend of mine got propane on Jan 14. Now, on Feb 25, the propane is all gone. Three bedroom trailer.

Does that seem a bit fast? She keeps the heat down, and doesn't have the doors and windows open.

I did smell propane at the top of the one tank. Wonder if there is a leak?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It would help if you told us what size tank. The tank for my little propane torch would only last about 1 hour, the one for my barbecue maybe 10 hours.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Only question like this can come from a bone head with bird's brain.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We have 2 100lb tanks for our oven only, they last about a year. Our neighbor has 1 200 lb tank for his furnace AND water heater and he gets filled every 3 months, whether he needs it or not since he's on a plan. But he has never run out. He's heating an entire 3 story house. I use a propane torpedo heater in my shop and a 20 lb tank lasts about 4 hours. I have a big buddy heater and a 20 lb tanks last me about 2 months with heater on high being used for about 6 hours a day two days a week.

Hope these give you an idea. I would use the dish soap idea and check all the connections as well as the valves on the tanks for leaks.

SD

Reply to
SHOPDOG

Depends on the temp, the wind, and how well insulated the unit is. Ours is

27', one slide, in eastern kansas and i'm going through 3 - 30's a week.

steve

Reply to
S. Barker

Less than one cent worth of Dawn or any other dishwashing soap would tell you if you had a leak.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Only you "Stormy the idiot" could ask such a stupid question. ....and you claim to be a heating guy. What a Schmuk! Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You smell propane but wonder if its a leak, keep wondering.

Reply to
ransley

He could try checking it with a match, then he could make the Darwin awards list.

Reply to
hrhofmann

He could try checking it with a match, then he could make the Darwin awards list.

And it took almost a day for someone to suggest this easy test method!

Reply to
Mark

I suggested two cents of dishwashing liquid yesterday.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Punctuation and grammar are appreciated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are totally correct. Two eaches 100 gal tanks. My misteak.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, 200 lb tank (is that the horizontal one that's about six feet long?) for three months. Sounds like her two eaches 100 gal tanks for five weeks of heat. That's running a lot of propane in a hurry.

One of these days, I've got to bubble check for leaks. In the meantime, the tanks are empty. And we're talking about getting a different supplier. So, if the tanks are exchanged, the installer should leak check. This supplier took four days to get a truck out, even having been told there is no heat, and she has a check waiting for them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon