Water Processor - what is that?

Hi All, I just purchased a house withe the "United Standard" Commercial water processor left from the previous owner. There is no manual or any other documentation to give me a clue of how this device is working. In general, the water processot itself is connected to the supply line. It has a small control panel with a knob for time setting, another knob that is surrently set to "service" and a red button. The processor is connected through plastic tube to the huge plastic tank (almost as big as the water heater). Opening the cover of the tank I see some water on the bottom and a container on the side (salt?). I imagine my description sounds silly, but how could you explain it better? :-) Can anybody give me a clue of what the system does and how should I change or add the salt.

BTW I can't find any website for "United Standard" production. Are they out of business for a while?

Thanks a lot in advance

Reply to
vtd

Sounds like you've got yourself a water softener.

Dean

Reply to
Lori & Dean Wigmore

wrote

That's a water softener with an amount of carbon on top of the resin and thereby they claim it is a conditioner. The large tank is the salt or brine tank. The little tank inside is a container to hold a resin cleaner, probably Res-Up which is an acid and used to remove iron fouling from the resin.

The equipment is good equipment except for the carbon which they say never needs replacement but will anyway. They may not say never but... they charge an awful amount of money for the equipment and have been investigated many times for shall we say.... shoddy sales tactics. The control valve is made by Fleck Controls International to their specs but can be repaired by most independent dealers. The motor and meter dial is different along with one or two other things but you could replace the control head if needed and all those parts (can) come with one.

Keep dry (solar crystal is best) salt up out of the water in the brine tank and don't fill the tank. Call someone to come out and test your water so they can set the meter for your raw water quality and family size plus check it out that it's working as it should. You more than likely can't find any phone for them, they sell (here) strictly by telemarketing and arm twisting to get referrals when they get their sales contract signed. Parent co. is Water Resources International in AZ, and you can forget the commercial part except for the amount of money they want for one of their units. You didn't happen to find the usually included RO unit under the kitchen sink or in the basement? They usually 'sweeten' the multiple thousand dollar deal with one of them and.... up to 7 years of soap and shampoo and cleaners formulated for soft water. Really nice stuff to use but not all that expensive.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser