Sewer Floor Drain Backup

Experiencing slow drainage & slight backups of basement floor drain. Started after household member had a run in with the flu.

24 hours of vomitting & diarrhea. I suspect excessive use of toilet paper has caused the problem. I have 2 floor drains in the basement. Washing machine empties into sink which feeds into stand pipe. Long showers from bathroom upstairs & washing machine will cause drain closest to stand pipe to slowly back up & over flow. Then the 2nd floor drain will also start to exhibit the same problem.

Using Roebic products because they are available at the Farm & Fleet store that I go to. Have tried repeated (3) applications of Roebic K-97 Main Line Cleaner.

waste-degrading product)

And (1) application of Roebic K-77 Root Killer

Sulfate Pentahydrate

Flow has improved but is still not free flowing. I would like to try an application of either strong Sodium Hydroxide or Sulfuric Acid before calling the plumber to have the line snaked out.

I'm thinking that Roebic Drain Flow Blended Sulfuric Acid

do the trick. MSDS says its a 90% solution.

House located near Chicago area & was built in 1931. I'm assuming sewer lines are cast iron. I've had experience with chemicals so I will take proper precautions when handling.

Would welcome pro or cons of using acid versus base to clear drain. Any suggestions would also be appreciated. thanks, jim

Reply to
jim

Its obvious, cast iron and acid...don't mix.

IMHO lyes break down human waste best over an acid and less harm to CI

Reply to
Red Jacket

Why ? Because of hydrogen gas formation ?

What about paper waste which is what I think the problem is.

Reply to
flippy

"jim"

I think a chemical solution (no pun intended) won't help very much. Toilet paper just doesn't cause a clog on its own. There's something causing the clog, and mechanically removing it is the answer.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Err....lye is used in the manufacture of paper products. Paper is made from a tree, its organic in nature. Lye is therefore better.

Acid reacts with iron.

Reply to
Red Jacket

Don't call me after you pour that stuff in. Had a guy pour a couple of gallons of that stuff and it peeled the paint off his walls. No thank you.

Reply to
llump41

I always come down to axing myself what would Wile E. Coyote do ?

Reply to
Red Jacket

The real problem is people do not use enough drain cleaner. I mean you need gallons of the stuff. Mix up acid and a lye to make sure that pipe stays clean. Yeppers, enough of acid and lye that WC will be clean as a whistle ! You want it so that toilet is clean enough to eat out of. People will call you Mr. Clean.

A bunch of Drano cans and then hit the hardware store for hydrocloric acid ! Yeah Baby !

Reply to
Red Jacket