Removing gas valves

I need to have a gas pipe cut that protrudes from the wall. Besides = shutting off and bleeding the gas line, are there any guidelines to = follow? (I am hiring a plumber to do this but would like to know more = about the process ahead of time.)

Also, after the work is done, should the system be purged with nitrogen = to remove the air from the system before turning the gas back on? I'm = thinking a spark in a pipe with gas & air might disrupt my sleeping = habits.

Sam

PS -- No offense intended, but I can guess as good as anyone else - so = I'm hoping someone who has been there done that can offer some info = about their past experience.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Sam,

What should happen is that the plumber simply shuts off the gas, cuts or unscrews the protrud> I need to have a gas pipe cut that protrudes from the wall. Besides shutting

off and bleeding the gas line, are there any guidelines to follow? (I am hiring a plumber to do this but would like to know more about the process ahead of time.)

remove the air from the system before turning the gas back on? I'm thinking a spark in a pipe with gas & air might disrupt my sleeping habits.

hoping someone who has been there done that can offer some info about their past experience.

Reply to
ironmike

Thanks, Ironmike. The original pipe was installed in 1960. Easiest = thing would be to unscrew the elbow behind the drywall. Do you know any = tricks to break loose a threaded joint that old? It looks clean - no = corrosion on the outside anyway.

Sam

shutting off and bleeding the gas line, are there any guidelines to = follow? (I am hiring a plumber to do this but would like to know more = about the process ahead of time.)

nitrogen to remove the air from the system before turning the gas back = on? I'm thinking a spark in a pipe with gas & air might disrupt my = sleeping habits.

so I'm hoping someone who has been there done that can offer some info = about their past experience.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Sam,

The easiest th> Thanks, Ironmike. The original pipe was installed in 1960. Easiest thing

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@18g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

shutting off and bleeding the gas line, are there any guidelines to follow? (I am hiring a plumber to do this but would like to know more about the process ahead of time.)

remove the air from the system before turning the gas back on? I'm thinking a spark in a pipe with gas & air might disrupt my sleeping habits.

hoping someone who has been there done that can offer some info about their past experience.

Yours is really new compared to the kind of things I usually deal with. I often take apart gas pipe that is 75 years old. Quality wrenches, pretty good size - no problem!

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

thing would be to unscrew the elbow behind the drywall. Do you know any = tricks to break loose a threaded joint that old? It looks clean - no = corrosion on the outside anyway.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@18g2000hsf.googlegroups.= com...

Besides shutting off and bleeding the gas line, are there any guidelines = to follow? (I am hiring a plumber to do this but would like to know = more about the process ahead of time.)

nitrogen to remove the air from the system before turning the gas back = on? I'm thinking a spark in a pipe with gas & air might disrupt my = sleeping habits.

else - so I'm hoping someone who has been there done that can offer some = info about their past experience.

Many thanks, JK! I'm probably way overly cautios about gas pipes.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin